The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Completely uninstalling an Epson DX4400 printer

(15 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Feather
  • Latest reply from SarahJames
  • Topic Viewed 1477 times

Feather

I have been trying to do this for hours!! The icon at the bottom of the screen is still there and the software file is still in Programmes and features. I cant get rid of it though I am following the uninstall instructions. It just keeps giving the printer as the new default. I have deleted files wherever I can see them but it is still there.
I have been on the Epson site and saw some instructions there but I am finding them difficult to understand.
Has anyone a simple,idiot proof way to explain to me what I need to do to completely take this off my system?
I am getting to the stage of wanting to hurl this laptop at the wall!
Thanks

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Follow this guide from Epson

Health & Safety tip: Before defenestration, please unplug printer from laptop

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

Feather

Lol!! :-) What a lovely word Mike!

These are the instructions I found (the link you gave me)
I am not sure about this??

Browse to the inf folder from Windows Explorer, or Computer:
You will now need to search for the Epson 'oem' files in the Windows inf folder. If found, delete the SEIKO EPSON 'oem.inf' files.
Stop the Print Spooler service in Local Services.
Remove the Epson files from the w32x86 (Vista 32-bit) or x64 (Vista 64-bit) folder.
Once deleted, restart the computer. This should also restart the Print Spooler.
Once restarted, check that the Print Spooler service is running.
I am not very teccy minded. I put inf files into Run and it threw up a lot of files,some of them with oem on them. I did not see one with seiko though? I am not sure where the Vista 32 bit folder is? Where is Local services and how do I stop the Spooler? I am afraid of deleting something important!
Thanks

Posted 2 years ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

If you are using Windows 7 , go to the administrative tools ---->Print management and try to delete the printer from there also

Posted 2 years ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

you can also find it in your Vista too

Posted 2 years ago

Feather

Thanks Scorpion,the tools are not giving me Print Management? Just Computer management

Posted 2 years ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

check this
http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....y/cc766105(WS.10).aspx

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

I don't have anything usefull to add at this point, apart from the fact I spend several days a week or two ago getting rid of an old HP printer and installing a new one.
Whatever you do: don't give up, you'll reach your goal eventually :D
Make sure you have a good image before you start messing around (you can use Macrium Reflect) and when all the Epson instructions fail - think outside the box :)

Posted 2 years ago

Feather

Thanks all I have managed to uninstall.
On trying to reinstall,I am getting this message after the driver has been installed (or is trying to )
E:/SETIMG/ENG/-NAVI_TS.HTM Paint cannot read this file This is not a valid bitmap file or its format is not currently supported.?
I keep having to abort the set up.
All my photos have gone from Picasa and Windows Photo gallery. I can see them in "My Pictures" but only faintly as through a veil. I have no idea what is going on!???

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Have you set folderproperties to show hidden files?
If so they may be hidden. That makes them look like through a veil.
But I don't know why they would be hidden all of a sudden.
The only other thing I can think of is that these a thumbnails of the files you can see and you've lost the program to open certain extensions with.

When you open an image file, jpg or png or gif, what program opens them?
Does that still work?

Posted 2 years ago

Feather

It opens them with Windows Live Photo gallery which I set as my default. My folders are set to show hidden files
re printer,I have just tried installing it without the driver on the disc and adding the update driver separately,but it is still not working.

Posted 2 years ago

Feather

Thanks to all who helped me. I have managed to get my printer working again!!! It has taken me the best part of three days!!! I am sure a lot of you would have had it sorted in an hour!
I will try to solve the "pictures" problem but that is another thread!

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Good for you!
And it is rather all too common having to spend way too much time on uninstalling and installing printers.
It took me also the best part of a weekend and I saw posts on the HP forum of people who actually threw out the new printer, because they couldn't get it going.

Posted 2 years ago

Feather

Sarah,I had a look at the pictures last night again. They had been "hidden"! Now unveiled! Thanks again

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Super!

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!