SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Compaq Presario CQ57 infected..

(7 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by CompWiz
  • Latest reply from CompWiz
  • Topic Viewed 1031 times

CompWiz
CompWiz

Hi Guys!

Well, the problem at hand is a pretty severe malware infecting this Compaq Presario CQ57.

I scanned the HDD from the outside with my adapter with both MSE and MB and they both detected malware (5 trojans). It was a pretty sophisticated code trying to get passed as a windows defender or something like that. They were all 'successfuly removed' according to MSE and MB, however, my problem is that when I attempt to open a folder in c: drive I get this; "c:\documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied" The current user is admin. It will not allow me to access the task manager either to view the processes.

Should I try ComboFix? I know it's risky but I've tried a couple of times.

Any ideas before I format and reinstall the whole OS(Windows 7)?

Edit: I uninstalled Norton and installed MSE however, nothing happens when I attempt to execute MSE.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....fected-pc/ Maybe this since you are looking at a reinstall.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Normally you cannot access "Documents and Settings" on Windows 7. You need to go through "Users", Your user, Documents. "Documents and Settings is a marker for use only by older programs that reference it internally. It is not meant for User use.

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

Hello Peeps!

Sorry for the huge delay...I've been pretty busy and today I am back and working on this Compaq PC.

Thanks for the suggestions above, however, I am still unable to execute any AV no matter which one I install. Installation process goes through smoothly but it's when I attempt the execute the program nothing and I mean NOTHING happens. Happens in/out of SafeMode. I messed up by not documenting the actual virus type etc. to get this rectified a little easier and quicker(lesson learned). All I recall is it was some kind of 'windows defender...something'.

Everything else seems to be working perfectly fine. It's just that one little detail. Any other suggestions?

FYI: I have scanned the drive(externally) with MSE and MalwareBytes which 'eliminated' the malware. Nothing unusual running under the processes or startup.

Edit: When I right click on any file in c: and select 'scan with microsoft security essentials' it thinks about it for about 8-10 seconds and before getting "Microsoft security essentials cannot scan the selected file(s)."

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi compwiz,

Run an sfc /scannow

Run chkdsk /f

Does your security program open up from the installed programs folder in c:

If none of those work you may still have remnants left behind.

Another option would be to try SAS (so called portable version) and select Rescue scan.

*note: it may reset your firewall and internet settings as well as the most recent changes such as wallpaper/screensaver etc.

Sorry don't have links as I'm on my phone :(

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

Hey GS, I've already tried sfc /scannow but haven't tried chkdsk.

And I cannot execute the AV from it's destination folder either. I am currently trying a system restore.

If that doesn't do the trick ill try out the rescue disk you suggested. Will keep updating as I go. Thanks.

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

System Restore did the trick... >_>

Intitially, before removing the malware I attempted a system restore in safe mode but it showed no dates to go back to (and now that I think of it, the malware probably hid the dates or something). Because just yesterday (after removing the malware and hours trying to figure this out) I noticed that CCleaner gave me the the option to do a system restore. So, I went back into windows System Restore and sure enough the dates were there. Another lesson learned.

In Conclusion, I guess a system restore in the first place wouldv'e done the trick however, the malware was keeping the system from restoring so I was forced to remove it first and then I shouldv'e checked again in system restore.

Thank you guys again for your concern. Have a great day.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!