How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Comodo Dragon: Privalert

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by StringJunky
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 767 times

StringJunky
StringJunky

Just a note for anyone who has noticed the anti-tracking Privalert extension missing in the latest update of the browser...there's a bug in it so they've removed it for now and will return it in a couple of weeks.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Hi Tony. I just downloaded IceDragon Browser and will be trying it out for a couple days.
Which one do you use?

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Hi Jim. I use Comodo Dragon mostly which is the Chromium variant. Ice Dragon is the FF one...got that too The Dragon has one or two more security features like Block Referrer Header (in Advanced Settings) and the Privalert extension, when it's there! Dragon's been going longer so Ice Dragon may get the same stuff eventually.

It's worth looking at the Comodo Program Manager as well as a security measure because if you run any malware-infected program that you unwittingly initiate it will warn you and stop it...not tested this part myself though with some malware yet. It monitors any program installation (including 64bit) and basically does the same job as Revo for all those programs it has monitored the installation of, as it does a post-uninstallation check for any leftover entries. Been using it a month with no problems. Only using Revo on those programs it hasn't monitored the install of...32bit anyway.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

OK. I just installed Comodo Dragon. Can't find a setting to have it instantly switch to a new tab. Got any ideas on that?

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Can you elaborate Jim...you click the plus sign at the top if that's what you mean.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Sorry. When I click the mouse scroll wheel on a link, that will open that link in a new tab. I can't seem to find the option to make the browser switch to that new tab as soon as it is created/opened.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Thanks Tony. I installed the Tab menu and got what I wanted.
It appears that I don't have to click the scroll wheel on a link now to open it in a new tab. :)
Things seem to work differently in different browsers.
Will just take a little getting use to Comodo Dragon I guess.

many thanks for helping me out, Tony.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

That's ok mate. :) It might not seem as featured out-of-the-box as FF but there's usually an extension around somewhere for what you want. Make sure to have a look through Advanced settings and enable Block Referrer Header...that's how you are tracked by ad companies. You can enable or disable Secure DNS there as well...this warns about malware sites but could possibly slow some people's browsing down.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

I agree. I'll play with it for a day or two but I can already tell that it will never replace IE9. :)
Firefox is ok but it too will never replace my favorite (IE9).

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Each to their own Jim. :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!