The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Communications 101

(51 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by sparky7415
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 3324 times

sparky7415

I've been lucky to have found a forum that has people around the world that communicate well with one another.This site was created by a man of vision that speaks english I believe.I see people unable to correspond because of inabality to communicate in a trying way. There are several regulars that do not live in English speaking countries,and they are my favorite friends

Posted 6 years ago

whs

The irony of the matter is that foreigners seem to do better than some native English speaking people. Some (few) English speaking "natives" use real sloppy language. Cutting words short and using all kinds of "unofficial" abbreviations. I think they do not realize that someone in a far away country may be unable to follow. They probably think it's COOL. This is ashame. I think we should steer against this practice.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Wot! How would we do this? Refuse to serve anyone that doesn't write in the Queens English? :)

ashame :-

to ashame (third-person singular simple present ashames, present participle ashaming, simple past and past participle ashamed)

1. (transitive, rare) To make ashamed.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

The truly ironic part is that as a programmer, you'd know that language changes all the time and while it may have taken a step back in the cyber world, that's hardly limited to english speakers.

Frankly I don't care what's spoken or how, as long as it's clean and friendly.

And FYI, we must remain apolitical at all costs.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Babel fish help tremendously :)

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415

I started this thread only because one of "ME favorites"reaction, toward an individual,had me almost peeing myself in laughter!After viewing this site for quite some time,it is only fitting that my favorites respond.I totally agree with Wolfgang,who lives in a country that has English as a secondary language!Proper spelling (reasonable)is essentual,without abbreviatons is the goal in helping our friends in need.I'm not asking everyone in cyber world to type out a problem in perfect English,only take the time for HELP.I'm trying my best to maintain this site as the friendliest on the web,and that goes for everyone on the world.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

I can only second Sparky. There is nothing to add. I guess everybody can decide for themselves how to deal with posts that are in some "cool" language.

@Scott, what is this supposed to mean in this context? "And FYI, we must remain apolitical at all costs" Nothing wrong with the statement per se, but how does it fit into here?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

J'n'est pas compris tous'. Mais... oui est non!

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Now I really need Babel fish.

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415

Actually.I'm not into programming,except when I'm bored on the television.I really dislike people's abuse of their language and expecting other's in the world to understand.And I really don't recall endorsing any political opinion in this forum.

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415

There goes Lighthouse again,lol,what did you say?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

How would I know? I only writ it!

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415

I love your humour,antagonizing whs I see,you guys remind me of a few comic duels that I love.Please don't change!

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

antagonizing?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

There are 5 definitions for "antagonize" in Lingoes. I guess he meant this one: "indicating opposition or resistance"

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

I know what it means. whs. did you feel antagonised?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Not at this point, but sometimes (in the sense of the above definition). Can't let anything pass.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Here goes, for clarification purposes-

sparky, none of what I wrote above was directed at you.
whs, the apolitical part comes from lengthy discussions when we set up the forum rules. It is not applicable to this thread but other OT ones.

With an election approaching here in the U.S., we expect to see political pot shots increase and they will not be tolerated. To a lessor degree, some of the xenophobic and blatantly stereotypical comments that have slipped by on occasion add nothing except stress for the moderators.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

@Scott, you worry too much. I think we have been doing quite well up to now. Probably also because of you Mods, as we members do not see everything you correct. And elections are somewhere all the time - so what.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

What me worry? Nah, the forums operate nearly perfectly with or without any one of us. You are right though, there has been an increase of posts, topics and new registrations that have to be edited/deleted. As HTGs popularity increases, I guess we can expect more of the same.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.