How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Comments/Criticism on my build, please?

(12 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by backslashhug
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 584 times

backslashhug

Build

This is a build I have been working on for a while and I would like some comments on it, good or bad, before i dump $1,000+ into it.

Thanks in advance.

Posted 2 years ago

Marksheet

backslashhug,

Looks Good... Though I'm not experienced on this topic. I have a Pentium 4 HT, 1.2 GB RAM, no GPU and 500 GB HDD (So, whenever I see a superior build, I think it's good).. In my opinion it's a good build, there are many geeks who will give you more precise reviews and advices...

However, I suggest you to go for a normal SATA hard drive instead of a SSD. They cost less and give you much more storage. And try and look up to some cooling solutions for your CPU, a standard heatsink will probably not enough. Though your case will provide additional cooling, You can invest more in the heatsink...

Posted 2 years ago

backslashhug

Oh, my other hard drive wasn't in the list for some reason. I'm using the ssd as a boot drive and an addition mechanical hard drive for storage. It should be updated now. Thanks for pointing that out. I will also look into an aftermarket cooler, thanks.

Posted 2 years ago

minigeek

I'm assuming you know this, but the "OEM" CD Drive and "Bare Drive" HDD won't include any sata cables - you will need to have some around or order some.

While you had most likely already noticed this, these small things can stop you from completing a build on the day you build. For example, I accidentally used a CD drive, and tried to use a Windows 7 DVD. Annoying...

MiniGeek

Posted 2 years ago

backslashhug

Thanks for that, i was unaware. This is my first real build and little things of information like that are very important to know. Any idea how many I will need?

Posted 2 years ago

minigeek

I would say that you need two; one for the Optical Drive and another for the HDD. In theory, the SSD should come with one, but you could order another if you are worried about these things.

Also, you will want SATA III cables, as you're using SATA III for most of the drives.

MiniGeek

Posted 2 years ago

backslashhug

Would you recommend changing the video card or mother board?

Posted 2 years ago

minigeek

Personally, I really have no idea! I'm not a huge hardware geek, and mainly stick to software.
I would think a member like raphoenix would be able to help you much better than me - I'm only 13 after all!

However, it is often useful to know what you want to use the computer for. Are you a gamer? Do you need dual monitors? etc...
Then others will be able to help you fine tune the machine for your uses.

MiniGeek

Posted 2 years ago

backslashhug

Yeah, its mainly for gaming and programming as I am a computer science major. I do plan on running dual monitors as well.

Posted 2 years ago

oldgeezer

Motherboards usually come boxed with cables for drives. If you check the 4th image on the website it shows the cables that you get.

Posted 2 years ago

backslashhug

Made a few small changes, switched the mobo and video card

http://secure.newegg.com/WishL.....r=15483534

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Same Crucial 128GB SSD but ships with mounting bracket and screws.
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2BAA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $114.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6820148525

If Budget permits, suggest going with Standard ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6813131818

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.