The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Comm Port Identification

(2 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by dgalgay
  • Latest reply from G41M
  • Topic Viewed 297 times

dgalgay

Please excuse me if this is already a topic, searching only brought up articles with no relevance. Even Google seems to be lacking. I'm wondering if there is a way to identify a COM port on my PC without having to "just plug something in and see if it works". Little background, this PC and about 12 others are running automated test equipment, and we install 1 or 2, dual serial PCIE cards to communicate with all the test equipment (don't ask why we're not using USB, we do on newer equipment). Cards and drivers are installed and listed in Device Manager as COM 1 - COM 5, no problem. Issue arises when we want to mark the COM port numbers on the back of the PC. There has to be a stupid dongle or something that allows you to activate the ports and see which one is which. We're even willing to build a device from scratch and write a Labview program to do it, but there must be something we can buy.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Have a look in Device manager,COMx (x=1-5) > properties > details tab > Location information or Location in General tab. This can give you the PCI Bus, device # which might help in the identification.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.