The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Disability Tech

Colour blindness; Gamers left out?

(8 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by vistamike
  • Latest reply from ProstheticHead
  • Topic Viewed 2116 times

vistamike

Came across this. But does it just apply to gamers?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13054691

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

ProstheticHead

Have seen a few games with alternate colour settings.

Posted 3 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Darned right it applies to more than gamers. I've fought color blindness descrimination all my life. When I worked for a public utility, I couldn't get into the apprenticeship program for lineman or machine shop (either machinist or metal fabricator) because the apprenticeship rules banned color blind people, even if the specific trade did not require the ability to recognize all colors. By the time they did change it, I was too old to qualify (age 35 was the upper limit; the ageism wasn't eliminated until I really was too old).

Everytime some moron wanted to color code office records, etc., I would speak up. They were surprised to find out how many employees were color blind to some degree or another. While I do see color, it's not the same as other people. I have both red/green (most common in males) and blue/green (most common in women) although, according to the tests that use a zillion little dots in a circle that form a number if you have a certain kind of color blindeness, I can see only in black and white (hah!). The color that has given me the most trouble is red. When red LED displays were still common, I had one heckuva time reading the darned things, especially in bright light. In daylight, I had trouble telling if a red traffic light was on; I got by by assuming that if the yellow or green light (which looks white to me) wasn't on, then the red was. The newer LED trafic lights are brighter so it's not a problem anymore.

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike

LF, very good input there, the same in the UK. (at one time you could not join the services if you were colour blind).
* note, the point of this FYI was to find if users have computer problems with CBness; if so, how they overcome it in particular applications not just gaming for instance.
Also, how does an employer deal with this?

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

Seasider2

3D tv and movies leaves out anyone who is blind or has severely impaired vision in one eye. You can join the services if blind in one eye but you cannot work for the railways, and not just on the trains.

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike

Harry, you must be on the wrong platform. The uptrain is due on the downline, and the downtrain on the upline. This is quite clearly vision impairment (to the eyesight perfect). Monocle'd up, on the uptrain on the downline is is very confusticating.
On the the Underground network in London we do get 'mind the step' just before the final fall

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

Seasider2

As always Mike you lighten the mood while elucidating, enriching and enlightening. You have a firm grasp of the English language, possibly around the throat. I'm back on track now.

Harry

Posted 3 years ago

ProstheticHead

@Seasider. Borrowed off the web, but LOL'd.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.