The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Collective bounty

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by noelhx
  • Latest reply from Barron
  • Topic Viewed 1969 times

Anonymous

What if there were a way for a lot of people to add a little bit to the bounty? What if anyone could use paypal or something like that to add a dollar or five or ten to the bounty? Collectively, this might be minimally valuable to a few people, but if a lot of people added just a little to the pot, the pot could get very enticing. No need for the honor system, just create a 'product' on paypal to put the donation to. Have it expire so that people get refunded if there are no takers after so much time has expired. Perhaps I do not have a handle on how these things work, but it seems to be something worth exploring. As more people come across the idea that there is a pot for someone to deliver something valuable, they might feel better about adding a few dollars to the pot, knowing they will get it back if it is not delivered.

just a thought
Noel

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

That's a great idea... I'd help contribute as well

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

This is an excellent, excellent suggestion.

The question is... how do we do this in a fair way? We need to have a trusted third party holding the money (somebody other than me). Anybody have any suggestions? Does paypal already do this type of thing?

Posted 6 years ago

Barron

PayPal certainly lets you accept donations. More detail here. But this doesn't answer your "trusted third party" question. That's a tough one.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!