The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - cmd.exe appears at boot-up.

(3 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by StokesleyLad
  • Latest reply from StokesleyLad
  • Topic Viewed 632 times

StokesleyLad

Hi HTG, I took receipt of a new PC running Win 7 64 bit a few days ago. Nearing the completion of the boot-up sequence there appears a Black Image for just a second or so. Today I was fortunate enough to catch it with the Print Screen Key and discovered it is the 'cmd.exe screen'.
Using 'msconfig' I've tried to identify the item so that I may disable it from running at Start up but can't recognize it from the descriptions given.
I'd be obliged if one of HTG's many efficient supporters can point me in the right direction to rid me of this unwanted 'intrusion'.
Thank you.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

There is nothing in startup that absolutely must run. So just uncheck everything except your antivirus and firewall and anything else you are absolutely sure that if it did not start, you would want to start it. If that corrects the problem, then leave it alone or slowly add back in things until you actually find the culprit.

Posted 2 years ago

StokesleyLad

Thank you XHI, 'Things that go bump in the night'. Unless I missed it, the darn thing didn't appear at the current boot-up - mystery!!
However I've had a look in Start-up and see what you mean about being able to stop all but the security items and then slowly add back in. So I'll be keeping my eye on things over the next few days and take action as you suggested if required.
Once again for your kind help I thank you.
Regards.
Norman.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.