The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Cleaning out PC-Cleaner files

(21 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by kroger
  • Latest reply from kroger
  • Topic Viewed 1686 times

kroger

I have uninstalled PC Cleaner. When trying to install avira free software it detects pc cleaner file and i can not find them anywere, can some one help me.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

kroger hi. Do you have a Restore Point available from before you installed PC Cleaner. If so, use it.

Posted 2 years ago

ronniesonora

kroger, might be a registry problem. Try this http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

Posted 2 years ago

kroger

No restore point, a year ago I downloaded the program and uninstalled it . When avira checked for conflicting programs it came up with pc cleaner. I have searched the regitry top to bottom and all over areas , found some files and deleted them. Ran the setup again and something is still show up, it's to bad avira don't show where the files are it would help.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Clean Install may be ????

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

I would 2nd clean install.
And please don't install cleaners without asking us first.

Posted 2 years ago

kroger

lighthouse
How do I perform a clean install on a progran uninstalled about a year ago?

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Clean install the whole OS.

Posted 2 years ago

kroger

Do you mean a computer recovery, like out of the box?

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Yep.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

How about forget Avira and simply install Microsoft Security Essentials instead?

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames

I forgot where but recently I saw a review that Avira is a better AV than MSE, so I'd stick with Avira.
@ Kroger - Could you maybe post a screenshot of the notification you get?
And are you without AV now or did you manage to install Avira, but keep getting messages about PC Cleaner?
Otherwise doing like Xhi says, getting MSE, might be a solution. Then try to find out how to solve the PC Cleaner problem and change AV to Avira.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

While there are lots of studies saying lots of things to me if he can not load Avira choosing another free AV seems to me to be a better solution than reloading the OS. To me that option is a last resort. This could, of course be a completely Avira problem.

Posted 2 years ago

kroger

I have been running Microsoft Security Essentials for years, but I downloaded avira to try it. When checking out the install steps the 2012 version pickups pc-cleaner , I just downloaded V2013 and it pickups PC Cleaner and Microsoft Security Essentials. It tells you to uninstall them manually before installing. I just can not find any, anyplace. Just would like to get rid of any left over PC Cleaner files Avira pickups, it's to bad Avira does not show the location of the files

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Then my recommendation would be to reinstall PC Cleaner, you do not have to actually run it, just install it. Then use Revouninstaller to uninstall it using advanced mode and removing everything it finds, Do not reboot, if requested, until the complete Revo procedure is finished. This should completely clean out PC Cleaner.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

I was thinking more along the lines of, if PC Cleaner has been run on that machine, what damage might it have already done ?

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

The trouble with programs like 'Pc Cleaner' is that they cause more damage to your system, more often than not.

I have to agree with LH here.
An uninstall will not repair that damage but will prevent further problems arising. I have come across around 3 'variants' of this software in the past. In all cases I was able to retrieve the data (most important) and then clean install Windows.
This does sound drastic but repairing an operating system after using this type of software is a waste of time.

If you can save the data you need then start afresh.
Once done we can then advise a backup system to ensure a future restoration without the aggravation. Also we can recommend 'cleaning' software that works for you.

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Just a little difference in philosophy here I guess. I like to look at the glass as half full. The only problem that has been demonstrated in this post is that there may be a remnant of a program left over. My approach before taking what I consider is the drastic measure of reloading would be to attempt to eliminate the problem first. That may be the only problem, it may not. But, why cut off the toe because of a hang nail.

No mater how careful you are the drastic measure of re-installing will result in data loss or missing programs and keys. Better to try the less drastic stuff first.

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames

I have to agree with Xhi on this.
No system is perfect. Two days after doing a clean install and having your programms installed and set everything to your liking it isn't a clean install anymore.
If the OP hasn't experienced any other problems than this I wouldn't be as drastic as suggesting a clean install.

Like Xhi says I would reinstall PC Cleaner and then remove it using Revo. Might just do the trick.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

I have to agree with you both with method thinking.
But consider how many times perhaps that PC Cleaner has been run?

If the uninstall corrects the problem then job done.

As mentioned above, the uninstall does not correct the changes made.

However, experience shows that this particular one is quite dreadful to put right, if ever and an OS reinstall is the only option.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.