The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Cleaning a Used PC

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by JohnSteed
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 393 times

JohnSteed

I have a HP 2140 Mini Net book, I cleaned over 15 GB of Junk files (Pictures, Movies, Music from it) and another 5-20+ GB of Spyware, Malware and viruses from the Hard drive.

I've upgraded it from the 1GB memory to a Maximum 2 GB. I got the promised 7 hours of battery time out of it one time, but for what ever reason the battery Icon doesn't indicate more than a max of 4 hours any more. I wonder if that there might be some sort of spyware or something that might still be running in the background.

However every test that I have done, Scan for malware, scan for viruses, netstat and other methods of watching the traffic on it all come back negative.

If it Helps to assess what is going on, I am running Windows 7 ultimate and MS Security Essentials. I even went out and had the battery tested, came back with the battery is just fine.

Am I being paranoid or is there something else I should check?

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

If you had a bunch of malware I would advise you to save your precious stuff and initiate a factory restore. There's nothing better than complete peace of mind even if it takes a bit longer.

Batteries are only good for a year or two and they lose maximum capacity from the off.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

I would do a clean install. Just to make sure all the malware, viruses, etc is gone and any traces of the previous owners files, etc.

Tutorial
Windows 7 ISO
Rufus Bootable USB

Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead

Battery life might be extended somewhat by disabling visual enhancements like Aero and tweaking your power settings, but also keep a tight reign on any programs/services you want running.

Do be careful what you disable though, there is no definitive list of what you can and cannot disable as it will depend on what functionality you require. Obviously, some services should NOT be disabled at all.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

For info on Services,
http://www.blackviper.com/

Posted 1 year ago

victimperson

Have you defragged your hard drive to optimize hard drive?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

The W7 defrags automatically, and is perfectly adequate for the job.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.