(Solved) - Clamwin anti virus in XP Pro, Permission denied problem

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by vistamike
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 2977 times

vistamike
vistamike

Hi all,

Friend has box, win xp pro, system (Asus) has slowed down dramatically last few months, box now with me and have run the supplied Avast AV, the SuperAntivirus, and malwarebytes, nothing found. AVG will not install at all. Tried Clamwin and did a full scan; it went through all the required files and folders and the result was.....all; Permission denied....and reported nothing else. Obviously a virus is resident.
FYI, system boots on my network pretty quick, Vigin Fibre Optic, but within 5-15 mins crawls.
His Network is Tiscali ADSL (BT). IE keeps bringing back the cookies (loads) even after clearing with Ccleaner. Firefox 3 installed ok but crashes or hangs (can reinstall, no prob).
NUTSHELL, something is denying access although the user has administrator rights.
Thoughts. Can do reinstal but would really like to know what is causing this problem if someone should have come across this before!!
And the reinstal procedure is such a pain!!

Mike

Posted 5 years ago

zesoares

If you won't reinstal again,just pickup your windows xp cd and boot with via the cdrom drive{if you know how}just restart your pc and press DEL or F10 or F2 to change the boot you'll see on startup wich key on your pc can acess the bios,now the steps:
1-change bios to boot via cdrom
2-put the cd in the drive
3-restart
4-you'll be prompt to press any key to boot from cd rom{press any key}
5-then let the sistem read the windows cd
6-then you must agreed{pressing F8}
7-after this you must press the letter R to repair your sistem
8-just folow all the steps until the end
9-note:don't choose to install
10-your sistem will be repaired without any problems.
this is better then sistem restore{in this case}after the sistem repaired you can change the boot again to hdd and see if you need to update some drives or not{in my case don't.
Good Luck

Posted 5 years ago

zesoares

Try also this site get this link:

this as many solutions to all windows os
I hope i can help.
cheers.XP and VISTA fixes bugs

Posted 5 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Mega apologies for the late response @zesoares, I have been away. (found not guilty).
I had done all this!!
The drive is fried, did a Maxtor tool diagnostic and could not repair. It did find a 10meg partition that could not be wiped and I did Dban as well! Slung it and bought new drive so all well now. Most of docs were backed up so I think we can mark this upas solved but I would like to know if anyone has come across this before; in that Maxtor drives have a history of failing but I still feel that a virus was involved.
Thanks, Mike

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

I have seen a lot of dead Maxtor drives locally (5 times more than other makes), so I definitely don't them.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.