The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Chromium the best browser?

(16 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mindstormer
  • Latest reply from GuiltySpark
  • Topic Viewed 1552 times

mindstormer

I am looking for the best stable browser. Years ago I've used Firefox when Chrome was still new, but have been using Chrome ever since (seems lightweight, speedier, and stable--always managing my 30+ tabs open without a hiccup). Anyway, privacy issues now concern me and having Google sneakily getting data from you (even if you tweak your settings on Chrome). It seems that every time you search something on the browser, Google knows (though I don't know if it's the same if i use Google on another browser and if my worries are justified). Also, Chrome doesn't let you control what displays on your omnibox--your bookmarks will show up to anyone who types anything on the Chrome address bar.

I was considering Chromium because it is open source and I know I won't be watched by Google. Problem is, there's no automatic update and I literally spent over an hour trying to find a stable build for Windows. I can switch back to Firefox, but from what I've researched, Chrome/Chromium is faster in most areas and is reliable.

Any suggestions? Any Chromium users out there? I'm on the internet for at least 8 hours a day, so finding a better browser to Chrome is important to boost my privacy. Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

http://www.comodo.com/home/bro.....rowser.php

Posted 1 year ago

ihspain1

Google Chrome is by far the fastest browser around, and it’s URL field double as a search engine tool. It is very user friendly.

Posted 1 year ago

silhouttejames

I use Google Chrome the most. More than just speed in Chrome Google Chrome has matured from a lightweight and fast browsing. Has the potential to be the best browser.

Posted 1 year ago

Carolinaeliz

Google chrome is one of the best browser, Now as same as google chrome features there are many types of chromium based browsers available in market, among them one is Comodo Dragon Browser. You can download from here
http://www.comodo.com/home/bro.....rowser.php

Posted 1 year ago

Travis299

I can remember when Netscape was the cats meow!

Posted 1 year ago

mindstormer

I was thinking of Comodo Dragon Browser, but I'm not sure if they intend on upgrading it as regularly as their Chrome counterparts considering it's a free and they have products to make.

I wouldn't mind getting started with Chromium because it's completely open-source and should be faster than Chrome technically--the problem is there seems to be no such thing as a "stable Chromium build for Windows." I don't know just how stable the newest Chromium is (they update Chromium several times in a single day) and updating it manually every time is a huge pain.

I will try Comodo Dragon Browser for the time being.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Dragon updates itself automatically and it's usually behind the latest Chromium version (which it is built from) by one or two versions so any problems the latest version has of standard Chromium is ironed out by the time the Dragon team use it...this is a good thing for the standard user as it gives us a stable on-going upgrade experience.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

mindstormer

I'm still pretty annoyed with the fact that it seems that there is no Chromium-based browser that lets you disable the omnibox from recommending your bookmarks (my #1 priority) and history, whereas on Firefox, it is such an obvious and easy thing to do just through their basic settings. Also, I read that Chrome updates are based on the STABLE build of Chromium, but for Windows, this seems to be impossible to find. The only thing that prevents me from using Chromium is the lack of a stable version for Windows and an option for automatic update. I'm not quite sure if the bleeding edge versions of Chromium (it gets updated several times a day) are quite stable enough for an avid web user.

Also, while Comodo Dragon is really good on its own, it's probably too excessive for me when I already have antivirus and malware protection. However, I will definitely be using it as my portable browser because I cannot be sure other computers I'm on will have the same protection that I receive on my desktop computer.

Posted 1 year ago

Geek45

For me, Firefox is the overall best...

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If you like Firefox then I bet you would love Palemoon.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

PM is great (my main browser for a long time). But if you want to stick to the chromium path, have you tried,
http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Posted 1 year ago

mindstormer

http://www.insanitybit.com/201.....chrome-21/ for SRware Iron. That's why I'm skeptical of Chromium-based browsers and prefer Chromium itself, but Google makes the stable build of Chromium so hard to come by. Just googling that gives you results for Chrome instead, not Chromium.

Posted 1 year ago

Geek45

Where can you get the Palemoon web browser? :o)

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

http://palemoon.org/

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

mindstormer ,

You could have a look at Black Hawk

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!