The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Chkdsk

(43 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by tsmith777
  • Latest reply from tsmith777
  • Topic Viewed 1099 times

tsmith777

Okay Rick and Irv I am going to start the clean install this morning, but I have a couple of questions. Is there a particular order I should follow after the installation, re: installing Drivers, Microsoft updates anti virus, etc. My installation disk was sent from Dell about two weeks after I bought the machine in May of last year and I noticed that most of the updates listed in Rick's link are dated last fall, including the Bios update so I assume I should use all the driver updates listed in that link, is that correct?

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

When I do clean installs I install in this order:
*OS
*Drivers (Download them from another PC and put on USB Hard Drive or Flash Drive)
*Anti-virus (Microsoft Security Essentials is what fellow members and I use)
*Updates
*Programs

For drivers, use the ones that Rick linked to as they will be the latest.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I did the clean install but now I cannot get on the internet. When I try to connect I get the message "Windows did not detect any networking hardware" HELP

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Can anyone help, Please

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Didi you install the drivers for the Ethernet ?

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I have the drivers on a flash drive but when I try click on them IE opens and warns me about active x, I clicked to allow and it shows the drivers but will not download them

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Where did you download the drivers from ?

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I just found the RealTek network driver and it installed fine, I am now on the internet and will install all the other drivers from Dell. Thanks GS for your response

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Nice one :)

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

GS there are two drivers I don't understand 1. Firmware for Liteon LMT -256M3M SSDR, Version VZDB..2.Firmware for Liteon LMT-2563M SSDR, Version VZDB, are they needed?

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

I think those are for an SSD but don't have one so can't be sure, one of the builders will be able to let you know.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Okay, I don't have an SSD either

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

No, those are probably the DVD/CD drivers. W7 has a lot of those built-in. However, some are 'better' from the original vendor, and some Dell has 'tweaked' to work or work better.

Best bet, get all the FILES that pertain to YOUR system code, have them handy before you start the process, but now since you are installed and connected, get them all. One I know you can update from the vendor's site is the video drivers. Dell HAS not updated the 8500 except for W8 drivers I think.

BIOS, installing an OS doesn't change this. See what you have when you boot on the splash screen, and if NOT the latest, get it.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I am now up and running, it is running very good. I want to use my mozbackup to return Thunderbird so that it retains my address book etc. , however the backup will not work. I had to install a new copy of mozbakup even though I had the original application folder in the flash drive and the back up I had stored on my flash drive will not work, any ideas?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I suspect you don't have access to the C: drive? Are you running as Administrator?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Rick, How do I do that?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Tom,

I've been out all day on personal business.

Let me catch up with all the topics and think for a few minutes. :)

I just "fly by the seat of my pants" with these OEM systems because I've haven't owned one since the Commodore 64 and the First IBMs.

After those, I've always Built my own machines since way back then.

(Irv S.) is the expert on the 8500 System so heed his advice.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Okay, COMMODORE, LOL

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I ment Irv, SORRY, how do I get access to C: as an administrator? I need help with mozbackup to restore my old Thunderbird Files. I also use roboform for my passwords and I'm afraid that won't work from my back up either

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Are you running as Administrator? Open a command prompt and then cd \ on C: and enter DIR... does it work? CD \WINDOWS, does that work?

Try running Mozbackup at Administrator, does that work?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!