The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Chkdsk

(43 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by tsmith777
  • Latest reply from tsmith777
  • Topic Viewed 1099 times

tsmith777

I am running Win 7 on a Dell 8500 and I cannot run chkdsk, I clicked My Computer, right clicked on properties then on tools and checked both options and restarted the computer then I get a Black screen and nothing happens. I then had to power down and pressed f8 and clicked repair my computer, when that was done it said Windows could not find any problem. I then powered down again and used f8 and selected last known good configeration and got back to normal. I have had this problem several times before and still cannot get it fixed. Would a clean install fix it? I don't want to do that unless I have too. Thanks for any help. Btw when I run chkdsk from a command prompt it starts and says checking stages one of three but when it gets done with state one it stops and goes away, it does not complete the 1 of 3 stages

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Does anyone have any advise on the above?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I think (Irv S.) is the only other member that is running a 8500 computer.

May be he will check in soon.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Rick, Is it not a Win 7 problem as opposed to

Dell?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I don't know because the only machines I've ever heard of to get "Black Screens" are OEM machines.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

What might be the downside of a clean install other than losing all my programs and files, would you recommend doing that? There are several other issues that I am experiencing such as something keeps deleting all my restore points that I have not been able to resolve, Firefox keeps blocking a restart or shut down most web pages are jerky and start up is slow sometimes other times it is fine, and the problem above where it will not run chkdsk, so those are the reasons I am considering a clean install

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

You could do a repair install by inserting your W7 disk in the tray when Windows is running and install from there. All your programs settings and files won't be touched but it's best to save a copy of the important stuff just in case. Windows updates will have to be done again. You are looking at an hour or less for the install then time for the updates.

Tutorial: http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....stall.html

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

EDIT: Tony was faster poster than I was and is a good idea. :) :)

A Clean Install would solve all problems if there are no hardware issues.

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

Also be sure to install the LATEST Dell Machine Device Drivers and Bios Update.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I already did the windows upgrade using my win 7 disk two or three times and had to install 103 updates which is ok had it fixed the problems, but it did not. Where do I get the latest Dell drivers and bios updates if I do the clean install, Are they not included int the clean install?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I think this where but you need to confirm with (Irv S.) because he has the same or vary similar machine.

http://www.dell.com/support/dr.....t/xps-8500

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

If a 'dirty' install (as I like to call it :D ) didn't work then a clean install is your only option.

What is the EXACT model of your machine and we'll look for the drivers. No need to do BIOS updates...that's untouched. Even if your machine is out of date you can still extract them from your machine if necessary.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

No problem on out 8500, but I have to tell you I *DID* see this message before anyone responded.... and it took me down the proverbial toilet...

I'm on an older Dell, XPS 435T and running W8. Wife is on the XPS 8500 and running W8 as well.

Well, I opened a COMMAND prompt as Administrator. Ran CHKDSK on C:. Said I had some problems, and had to run it with /F. Did that and then the trouble started....

In short order upon booting the system CHKDSK would run. There WAS in instantaneous prompt to stop it by hitting a key but I was never fast enough, just like people trying to get into Safe Mode having problems.

Once CHKDSK ran it started the TROUBLE SHOOTER (or something like that) which ran some diagnostics and said then it would repair the drive (problem was in the BOOT PORTION, not the OS it said). It said it could take up to an hour to do this. Again, within a few seconds the system rebooted, and I was in the SAME cycle... eventually (more than once) it put up a screen saying it couldn't be corrected and a location of a log file (which I never wrote down or tried to look at). I had a few options, shutdown, which was USELESS as when I powered on I got into the same cycle. Another was got straight to Windows 8, again, USELESS, I got into the same circle... I know what is happening, there is a Registry entry on what to run at boot, but if I can't boot, editing that out is difficult and I'm not even sure where it is... the few tools I had to edit the registry had no find function... last was the ADVANCED options. Either a REFRESH or RE-INSTALL...

So I took the REFRESH and then used Symantec's System Restore to put me back where I was.

Now working, but what a PAIN... I don't even want to run CHKDSK to see if it is fixed.

Interestingly, I had complained about some Live Tiles not working. They did on the REFRESH boot (which lost of course ALL my installed apps other than the ones gotten from the store, real useful, NOT!). Of course after the restore with Norton they don't work again, sigh...

Irv S.

EDIT: For those that care, this is the error message CHKDSK gives me

Errors detected in the Boot File

Nothing turns up on Google about it?

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I think I will do a clean install tomorrow, Irv I never did get an error message it just went to a black page and did nothing, I had to power down and use f 8 and "Last known Good configeration" to get back to so called normal, Rick I could not get your link to work. It did download the file, but the application would not work.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Tom,

The Link DOES work.

http://www.dell.com/support/dr.....t/xps-8500

You just have to read and follow directions.

I could download every one the drivers plus the Bios. :)

As you can see from Irv's posting above, he had a lot of issues with his 8500 Dell.

May be you should call Dell and see if they will fix the mother board for you under warranty.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

The Link did work, sorry bout that, Do you think it is a motherboard problem? What do I tell Dell to get them to fix the motherboard? This machine is still under warranty

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I know what I would tell them but cannot advise you to say the things I would say on this forum.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

LOL

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Rick, Is there a way to impart to Dell that there may be a problem with the motherboard?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I don't think CHKDSK not completing equates to a motherboard problem? Disk maybe but NOT a motherboard. Let Dell get on the system and let them figure it out, that is what you paid them for!

My 8500 problems were NOT with the disk. First problem I had was the wonderful 1/2 high 1703 wireless network adapter did NOT give full N speed but only 150Mbps. After that was solved with a few replacements, the next problem was the SSD install. It did NOT recognize the mouse and keyboard immediately. Dell couldn't help, although they DID try. I eventually got it working by doing many h/w installs.

W8 gave me some 'problems', but they are all smoothed out now.

The 8500 is a good computer. No matter what Rick says... <VBG>

I did have problems with some MS Utilities too, like PERFMON, it refused to work. Dell worked on that one and eventually said they had NO clue why? A clean install of their image didn't work. Others had the same problem. Then, one day, it started to work, probably after an MS Update I guess?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Ok. Irv I think I will just do the clean install tomorrow and see if that helps the problems with chkdsk, firefox etc. Thanks for your input

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.