SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Chinese music file names shows rectangles instead of Chinese characters?

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mindstormer
  • Latest reply from ReadandShare
  • Topic Viewed 703 times

mindstormer

Hi,

All my music file names show up as rectangles. I just want to be able to read them in Chinese--I don't need to be able to type Chinese characters or have my context menus in Chinese. Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

You may have to look at the unicode format but there is no guarantee it will work the way you want, you could always copy and paste if you don't have too many.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Would be helpful to state your OS and the particular program showing those rectangles. For example, is it Windows Explorer? Or MS Word? Or something else?

Posted 1 year ago

mindstormer

Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm using Windows 8. And it was on Windows Explorer and, if I recall correctly, on MediaMonkey and other players as well. The interesting thing that I just found out is that I would be able to see the characters only sometimes. I just checked and I could see them all and couldn't before, and I don't know what causing that. This problem exists after I reformatted my computer as well. I really would want to find out what's causing this because having it work once in a while is almost close to having it never work in my case.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

mindstormer:

I use Win 7 -- but I also use Mediamonkey. My Mediamonkey reads traditional Chinese just fine -- without ever needing to be tinkered with. Same goes for my Windows Explorer, Office Word, etc. I suspect once the proper language fonts are set up within Windows, the other apps would utilize without further ado. My recollection is that I had to manually configure in Win XP and earlier versions -- but not any more with Win 7.

I am guessing that Windows 7 and 8 now detect and adjust automatically when they encounter language codes different from English. Your reformatting probably caused Windows to have to readjust -- and thus a bunch of square the first time around. If I am correct, then you shouldn't have this problem anymore going forward. Are you still seeing squares even now?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.