SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

(Solved) - check hard disk "damaged" or "no connection"?

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by catch22
  • Latest reply from catch22
  • Topic Viewed 978 times

catch22

Someone gave me a dell latitude D505 that broke down. When I insert a Linux Live-cd it does start that up, but I can't install it because there's no hard disk found anymore.
Is there a command I can use, once inside with the Live-cd that can show me if the hard disk is really damaged, or that perhaps there's simply no connection because some wiring got undone?

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

catch22, hi.

What Linux distro are you using? Most likely you do need a command to 'mount' the hard drive.

Posted 1 year ago

catch22

Linux Mint 13 (maya) KDE
Based on Ubuntu (Debian)
I'm not a Linux-expert at all, but I think when installing at the only hard drive there should be found and available automatically?

(btw I can't find a place in the forum to subscribe or automatically subscribe at least to my own to posts)

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@catch22, In answer to your btw, look in the views section on the forum page. You can also click on member under your on screen name.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

You can not subscribe for email replies to your posts being updated, but you can as Warlock suggests click on the My Posts section on the main forum page.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

catch22

thanks for the info on email updates
the issue about the HDD is solved in so far that I'm pretty sure the disk is broken, and it gave me a chance to experiment with Puppy Linux on usb - which is quite an amazing solution :-)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!