How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Check Compatibility (Long)

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by mkhuda
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 1967 times

mkhuda

Dear All,
I have a problem during upgrading my Vista Home Basic SP1 (32 Bit) to Windows 7 Ultimate (32 Bit). After i reached on Checking Compatibility is taking too long for that !!! What is the problem ?
I used a notebook from Compaq with Dual Core Processor and 1 GB of RAM.
Thank's for the answer !!

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Are you using an upgrade disk or a full win7 disk. Reason I am asking is that I am not sure an upgrade disk will work from Vista basic to Win7 Ultimate - I think you need a Vista Ultimate as prerequisite when you want to got to Win7 Ultimate.

Posted 4 years ago

JonMCC33
JonMCC33

Actually, from Windows Vista Home Basic you can upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Ultimate.

http://windows.microsoft.com/upgrade?os=winvista

From my last experience upgrading Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Beta it took an abnormal length of time even on a 3.2GHz Core 2 Duo and 4GB DDR2 on my rig. I believe it was well over 1 hour.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I went from VIsta Home Prem. 64 bit to W7 Home Prem. 64 bit via upgrade on an i7 920 quadcore and it took me over 3 1/2 hours. I was sort of surprised it took that long. However, I did move A LOT of data and programs over and I suspect the time is related to the amount of data needing transfer as well.

Do you have sufficient disk space to actually do the upgrade? Spec's say 16GB's and I needed at least 2GB's for the files it moved it seems that it held as 'back-up' in case something was missed.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.