Cheap DSLR Camera

(29 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Ara
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 1411 times

Ara
Ara

Hello,

I am willing to buy a new DSLR camera for less than $1000.
Which ones are the best? Canon or Nikon? OR anything else?
Please specify the model number.
AND WHICH ONE HAS CHEAPER LENS? Canon or Nikon?

Thank You,
Ara

Edit: Link removed. -- GMOD

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

I prefer Nikon, canon may be cheaper in some cases, but remember you can't use a nikon style lens on a canon and vice versa.

Owen

Posted 1 year ago

Ara
Ara

Thank You Owen, but can you be more specific?
Are the camera lens (and other accessories) of Canon cheaper or Nikon?

I need a DSLR camera because I love the options it has that normal point-and-shoot camera lacks, but also want to upgrade it with cheap accessories cause I'm still a teen but love taking pro pics. I'm not into a PRO cam that cost $1200+ body only, but what a camera that takes beautiful pictures with cheap accessories.

Thank You,
Ara

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Here's the top 7 cheap dslr's....
http://techpp.com/2012/02/03/t.....r-cameras/

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

Ara
Ara

Thank You Jim! :)

I think I'll be going for Canon Rebel T3i; anybody disagrees with me or has another better and cheap choice please comment.

I have time till New Years to choose, so don't worry if you reply late...

Ara

Posted 1 year ago

hatryst
hatryst

depends if you're a Canon or Nikon lover (the war has been there for quite a long time!)

T3i is a good one, if you're looking on the Nikon side, have a look at the D3200 (one one of the new ones). The kit lens (18-55mm, probably) will be fine for you at first, once you move on to advanced photography, you may get additional lenses and there's a large variety of lenses on both the platforms.

Posted 1 year ago

Ara
Ara

Thank You @hatryst for your excellent comment.

I'm new to DSLR, so what do you say is better Nikon or Canon? And which brand do you use?
I went for Canon's cause I have heard that it is the best in manufacturing camera's but I know that there exists a war between Canon and Nikon...

I'll take a look on Nikon's D3200, and will see which one has better specs (that I prefer).

Other HOWTOGEEKERS, any idea??

Thank you again hatryst :)

Ara

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Ara

You won't take better pictures with an SLR than you will with a good compact with a manual control option. The only area where you definitely gain is resolution due to the physically larger sensor size which, practically, doesn't mean alot now compacts are now 14MP and rising. The "beauty" inherent in a picture is governed by the photographer not the camera.

Interviewer: "What camera do you use David (Bailey)?"
David Bailey: "Give me a camera and I'll use it."

A fully equipped SLR outfit means you won't carry it everywhere on a whim once the 'honeymoon' period is over.

I don't want you to raise your expectations too much. ;)

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

hatryst
hatryst

Tony, I'm afraid to disagree :) DSLRs produce image quality like nothing else. But yes, it doesn't matter WHAT you shoot with, it's HOW you shoot it !

Ara, I use an Olympus, got it for quite cheap 'cuz I was low on budget when I got mine (needed it for photography classes, I regret getting an Olympus sometimes). Anyway Canon is good if you want to go for it.

But Tony is right, you need to use Manual Mode to learn proper photography. If you're getting a DSLR in the first place just because you've heard that DSLRs produce good quality images, it's because the people who shoot those photos are trained to do so. You might rely on the AUTO mode for a while, but soon you'll realize that it isn't the way a DSLR is to be used. DSLRs are flexible, and you can manipulate the way your image looks and feels.

Have a look at this DSLR simulator. Get yourself familiar with the controls. It might look complex at once, don't worry.
http://camerasim.com/camera-simulator/

And some more links to get you started:
http://www.howtogeek.com/10339.....-settings/
http://www.howtogeek.com/63770.....-exposure/
http://lifehacker.com/5815742/.....lete-guide

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Hatryst

I just got the sense that the OP thinks their photography will improve just by having a better specced camera...I've been there and know it's not the case as i think you do.

That's a good app...I'm quite at home with it having started with manual film cameras :)

I currently use my 3 year old Blackberry and wait for the light to be right to get the right exposure LOL! If I was up for a 'good' camera I'd get a super compact or bridge camera with interchangeable lenses...the much reduced size is a big plus for me.

Canon or Nikon?...they are both good.

Posted 1 year ago

hatryst
hatryst

Yes, you can even use an iPhone camera to take superb photos
(yes, on a separate note, the iPhone camera is quite good!).

Posted 1 year ago

Ara
Ara

@hatryst, I agree with you and Tony.

I am willing to buy a DSLR just to benefit from the manual options (ISO, focus as I like, viewfinder, and much more that I would like to discover by testing :) )

Thank you both Hatryst and Tony for your time and excellent (and approvable) answers.

Ara

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Ara

If that's what you want then a DSLR is the right type for you! :)

This might be worth a read to assess priorities and not just the actual makes: http://www.techradar.com/news/.....cleContent

Posted 1 year ago

Ara
Ara

@StringJunky thank you for your comment...

Are you a current DSLR user? And which brand and model number do you recommend?

Thank You,
Ara

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

As the others have said, it is all down to practice. Hopefully the skill arrives. I started with various compacts and an Olympus SLR (real film). I now have just a Sony compact. Even without all the fancy gear you can get some excellent pics. I would only ever cart around a full camera bag for special occasions.

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

bookmarking and checking out all these links.
saw one on woot the other day and was tempted but just didnt know where to start as far as researching, etc.,etc..
thanks for those too Hatty.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I'm in line with LH and inclined towards the high end compacts...these are the two most recommended ones at the moment. These are the kind of cameras pros use when they are not working ie their private pictures:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-dsc-rx100

http://www.dpreview.com/previe.....ix-dmc-lx7

I've used a Sony Nex-5n which is a similar standard as the above but has interchangeable lenses and this is definitely more than adequate for me...not bothered about the interchangeable lens as the fixed 24-90mm ish of the above is fine for me.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynex5n

Posted 1 year ago

Ara
Ara

Thank you all for your generous comments...

New HOWTOGEEKERS: What do you recommend?

Thank You,
Ara

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

One advantage a DSLR has over point and shoots is the optics. A larger diameter lens can collect more light, allowing better photos in poorer light, better action shots since exposure time can be reduced. The better optics of DSLR lenses also can give better depth of field. While it's true that skill is needed to take good photos, better equipment makes it a lot easier, especially in less than optimal conditions.

Another advantage to DSLRs is most can save images in a RAW format. RAW permits better editing whenused with compatable software.

I personally use a high end point and shoot because of it's portability and because it uses AA batteries. Using AAs reduces the number of spares I have to lug around since the external flash (the best accessory one can have) and other gear I have also use them. Still, I frequently wish I had better optics.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

LF

The LX7 I linked has an aperture range F1.4-2.3 for 24-90mm That's fast enough. You hit it on the head: despite singing the praises of DSLRs you use a point-and-shoot! ;) SLR's are for committed geeks...I was one for thirteen years until I got a medium-format ( Bronica ETRSI) and it killed my interest stone-dead because it was too bulky. It can be the same problem with SLR v Compact...if the size doesn't facilitate portability, pictures won't get taken as often. Getting too anal about maximising potential resolution and perceived quality can get in the way of taking pictures. High-end modern compact cameras that have full manual control available are more than up to scratch for most people, including me. The only difference really is the larger sensor size and presence of the mirror which gives the SLR it's name and size. Larger lenses do not necessarily mean more light-gathering; that's a function of the diameter to length ratio...it's easier (and cheaper) to produce a small high quality lens than it is a large one.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!