The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Changing wi-fi router channel

(19 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Eastender
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 706 times

Eastender

I have got a D-link router and although it is set to auto channel scan I changed the channel of the 2.4 ghz signal ( I've got 2 signals : 2.4 and 5 ghz ) from 2 to 9 because the connection of my Galaxy note tablet keeps breaking while skyping. (I don't have this problem with my laptop). Anyway inSSIDer is still showing channels 2 and 6 for the signals on my laptop. How do I change the channel on my laptop and tablet. Btw I've downloaded inSSIDer for android on the tablet but I canĀ“t get any further than the guide.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Eastender hi. Not quite sure what you are saying, but what I can say is, don't use the default channels that came with the router. So change those on the router first.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Channels only need to be changed on the router side. The devices will find them correctly.

Posted 1 year ago

Eastender

Thanks for your replies guys.
I don't want to start a new topic but we've got 5 devices which are using the router. I'm thinking of buying a new router which can get the best out of my internet connection. Any suggestions? Any good site for a review? The sites I visited all have different results.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Why would you want to change it ? D-links are ok.

Posted 1 year ago

Eastender

Oh...I bought mine quite a while back. I thought a new one might solve my problem of skyping with the tablet.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I would imagine the data rate is 100Mbs or more on your router and I think it's highly unlikely you have an internet connection that fast so it won't be causing a bottleneck.

Posted 1 year ago

Eastender

My internet connection is 100mbs. So you think the problem is something else?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

What do you mean by your "internet connection is 100Mbs"? What tells you that? Run http://www.speedtest.net and report back the numbers. That will tell you what your connection speed is.

Your internal net may run at 100Mbps, but the speed coming from outside will be less.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I don't think 100+Mbps internet is around yet.

Posted 1 year ago

Eastender

That's what my provider claims, 100 megabits not megabytes. Anyway speedtest gave me these results:

Btw I've tested it with my "antique" computer with Intel Celeron 3.33GHz processor; or doesn't it make any difference?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

That's what the small b means, bits. A Capitol B would be Bytes.

Your aactual speed is 50Mps. Wicis about as good as it gets. Overkill for most folks.

Now, what was the problem again?? If I had that speed I'd be thrilled to ******** death.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Eastender

I'm thrilled with my speed too so that's not the problem. The actual problem is that if I skype with my Galaxy note tablet the connection breaks every few minutes. I don't have that problem with my laptop or the pc mentioned above.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Does the Galaxy note work better with a different router, like at a hotspot or something else.

Posted 1 year ago

Eastender

I haven't tried the tablet with any other router.
@StringJunky 100Mbs connection does exit. Have a look here:

http://www.upc.nl/internet/

Xhi is right in saying that I've got 50Mbs. My son mislead me by saying that we had chosen the 100Mbs connection. We've had it for such a long time and my memory isn't getting any better :)

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I want one. But, the move to the Netherlands would be prohibitively expensive.

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Tony,

they do have 100mbps here in Kansas City through Google, they are saying that you will have 100mbps both down and up we are the first city in the us to get it.

John

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

John

I'm obviously slightly behind times but that speed is the state-of-the-art and not widespread...about 50 is the standard 'fast' at the moment I think. In contrast, I've just got a new HSPA+ 3.75G dongle which gives me 6-10 Mbps compared to my old one of 2-3Mbps and I'm like "wow"! :D The very fastest dongle in the UK at the moment realistically averages at 14Mbps apparently but capable of 42mbps when the network allows.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Not bad!! Verizon FIOS in Philadelphia, PA. Comcast says they are faster, I doubt it. I can get even more speed than that from FIOS, with their Quantum tier. But what would be the point?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!