The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Changing the Vista to XP operating System

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Macoy
  • Latest reply from amkeew
  • Topic Viewed 13164 times

Macoy

Is it possible to change the Vista Operating System to Windows XP for an acer computer? This is the first time that I will be using vista but I noticed that installing different software always required an on-line registration, and that I think is not so convinient for me... Please help me find a solution to this problem..

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

It is possible but why? Vista is the much better operating system. Thats like trading a Mercedes for a Ford. You also can run both: Vista and XP. See here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=58

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

> installing different software always required an on-line registration
Can you explain more about that? Like what you were installing as Windows Vista doesn't have any required registration so it shouldn't be that.

Posted 6 years ago

chuckbowers

I'd sure like to know how whs concludes that Vista is a better system. I have vista on one machine, xp on another. I'd gladly convert vista to xp if at all practicable! Every day it seems I get some new, nasty surprise from vista, like unpredictable freezes and program "Not responding(s)". And I'm often greeted with a rejection because somrthing I;m trying to install is incompatible.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Hi chuckbowers, I have 3 Vistas running since day 1 (Jan 30, 07) without any major problems. Some bigger problems I caused myself. There are some programs that like to "not respond". AOL is notorious and there are a few other glitches, granted. But the system is so well designed and has such a superb user interface (including the aero) that I would not trade with XP. The program installation rejections probably occur because the owners of the program have not converted to Vista. Try to install a Ford rear axle on a Mercedes. But that is not the fault of Vista if those buggers drag their feet.
You probably have a well tuned XP that you do not change very much versus a Vista that you are still in the process of tuning. So what can you expect. But then each person has to make their own choice. Some people like the "good old days". Have fun WHS

Posted 6 years ago

allelectric50yahoocom
allelectric50yahoocom

I see that you are a large systems programmer. You might have a little more tech smarts and a little more time to spend on Vista. I only have an associates in ET (in 92). Most people don't have time to muck around in a new operating system.
Can you tell me how to open up pictures in vista without opening 3 to 4 files to see your pics or videos? And where is the refresh button....besides under the right click of the mouse? And the biggest one is WHY I alone know 7 people that have returned there NEW computers just BECAUSE of vista.
Mercedes to a Ford. Fords are easier to fix and CHEAPER to fix. LOL
Don't get me wrong. I would enjoy nothing more that sitting down with you and learning more about Vista.....Input is always is good!!!
Its just caused me and others I know alot of problems

Posted 5 years ago

amkeew
amkeew

My Dell 1420 came with Vista Home Premium. Within a week, I changed to XP Pro. That's how good Vista is/was :).

I completely uninstalled Vista, formatted the entire drive and installed an official XP Pro. If you use an un-pirated OEM xp software, registration is a piece of cake. Downloading various xp drivers was a bitch though but Dell bundles them in one place.

I have not a single crash with XP so far.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!