The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Changing the priority of a program in the Task Manager to realtime

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Gmanlink
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 33912 times

Gmanlink

Whenever I want Vista to concentrate on a certain program (i.e. Videoera iPod converter...), I usually go to the Task Manager to increase the priority, usually at the highest priority possible. But whenever I try to change the priority of the program to realtime, Vista refuses to do so and sets it to high. Is there anyway that I can change it the priority to realtime?

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Gmanlink, that's a good question. I didn't know the answer, so I googled up some information. Although it's 2 years old, this article talks about changing priority and also how to get the most from multi-core CPUs:
http://www.informit.com/articl.....x?p=465310

Note that the author cautions against the use of Realtime priority -- you need administrative rights and it can crash a system. If your video conversions are like mine, I would not do anything to risk a crash for the 2 - 4 hours it takes! I doubt that using Realtime priority will reduce the rendering time by any significant amount.

Posted 6 years ago

Gmanlink

Thanks a bunch.
But if you have a Dual-Core Processor with a ton of RAM, wouldn't it be less likely that a PC will crash from setting some program to realtime compared to a PC with Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz 2.99 GHz?

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Well, yes, I would think so. With a multi-core CPU, even if you raised one process to a high priority there should be no critical system processes that get starved and crash Windows. With any single-core CPU, that risk goes up. Getting back to the video conversion, I use TMPGenc Xpress 4.0 and it is multi-core aware and keeps all cores busy on my quad core Q6600. Pushing an application like that up to Realtime priority might starve a critical process even on a quad core! But, I am just speculating here, I don't know for certain.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.