SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Changing settings for closed lid while logged out (Ubuntu 12.04)

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by theflash
  • Latest reply from theflash
  • Topic Viewed 1265 times

theflash

Hello linux experts,
I've been looking for a way to change this forever. My problem is that when I am logged out on Ubuntu 12.04 and decide to close my laptop lid, my laptop goes into standby. I have set my power settings to do nothing while the lid is closed and while I am logged in it does nothing but if I log out and close my lid it is as if there are separate power settings for the login screen (as it goes into standby). Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Standby is 'doing nothing' when you only log out. If you want it to stop completely, you have to shut down.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Since Power Settings are on a per user basis it makes sense that if logged off that users power settings would not be active. The question is which power settings are active. I would venture a guess that they might belong to the hidden Administrator account. I would try activating it and setting the power settings there. Then deactivate it.`

Edit: Ooops i gave a windows type answer, but maybe it will kick off an idea.

Posted 1 year ago

theflash

Well, I guess after what you said, Xhi, I basically need to find a way to change the system-wide power settings. Does anyone have any idea how to do this or where to go? I'm still fairly new to linux.

Thank you for both of your responses.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

A little old now but may still work : http://askubuntu.com/questions.....er-options

Posted 1 year ago

theflash

GuiltySpark, that is different but somewhat related. I think this is one of those settings that just cannot be changed, nor is it very easy to explain. I think I will just continue to lock it instead of logging out of it, this issue really isn't any big deal to me. I really appreciate everyone's help though!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!