The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Changing Screen Brightness

(9 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by geeman89
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 1253 times

geeman89

Is there a way to change screen brightness but not change the plan setting's brightness?

For example, on the "Balanced" power plan, I have the screen brightness set to 50% on battery. If I'm on battery and I can't see the screen because of glare or something, I increase the brightness, say to 100%. Now the power plan will say that the brightness on battery is defaulted to 100%. Any way to have these two values change independent of each other?

Thanks!

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Hi geeman89

There is most likely a keyboard combination that allows changing the brightness on demand but it is different between makes and probably models.

I need to know the make and model before I can find out.

Posted 4 years ago

mfletch
mfletch

On my computer its the Fn key and use the left-right keys to alter the brightness

Posted 4 years ago

geeman89

It's an HP dv6433cl.

I know how to change the brightness by keyboard, Windows Mobility Center, or from the power options screen. This isn't the problem :P

The thing I'm trying to figure out is if I can change the brightness without changing the power plan's settings.

In other words, if the plan's settings is for brightness at 50% for battery, but I change the brightness on battery to 100% just so I can see, I would like to have the plan's settings stay at 50%. This way, the next time I unplug the power, I the screen will dim to 50% instead of staying at 100%. Hopefully this all make sense and is even possible xP

Thanks for the quick replies!

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Hi

If you look at your function keys (F1 F2 etc) at the top of your keyboard you might see two keys with sun icons next to the F number next to each other...one for increasing brightness and the other for decreasing it. Hold down the Fn key (down the bottom left of your keyboard probably) and press one of the appropriate Function keys to the desired level..you can check your power plan to see if those settings have altered....I think they'll be unchanged.

I have a Hp comp. and yours might be the same functionality.

Cheers

Posted 4 years ago

geeman89

I have a feeling no one is understanding exactly what I'm asking.

I know how to change the brightness (as I stated) through the function keys, mobility center, or any other way. As I said, this is NOT the problem.

I just want to know if it's possible to change the brightness without changing the plan's settings for brightness. I'm starting to get the feeling that it's not possible :P

But thanks for trying to help.

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

geman

When I manually turn up my brightness to 100% ,on battery only, using the function key + Fn key and the power plan level is preset to 50%, when I reboot the brightness level is automatically reset to 50%! What I have described is a TEMPORARY manual over-ride. This is on Vista. :)

Posted 4 years ago

geeman89

Doesn't work on my computer for some reason :P Perhaps I'm missing drivers or what not, but when I change the brightness by way of the keyboard it also changes my power plan settings. I guess I'll continue to look into it and maybe it'll work one day ahaha

Thank you for trying to help! Something I can deal with :)

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Hi geeman

No prob mate...hope you get it how you want it eventually. :)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!