The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

changing run level in ubuntu

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by azizlp
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 8306 times

azizlp

I would like to know how to change my default run level in ubuntu to another. somebody help please

Posted 6 years ago

blastph3my

I'm not sure. This forum mainly focuses on Windows-based problems. We'll help you while you can, but I'd personally suggest that you ask at www.ubuntuforums.org . Almost every Ubuntu question I've had has been covered there, even questions specific to my laptop model. It's a great resource and a great community. Sorry I couldn't help you, and definitely check back to see if others can.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@blastph3my: Do you mean the HTG forums as a whole are mostly Windows questions? As this forum on HTG is for Linux questions.

@azizlp: Why do you want to change the default run level? It is my understanding that most of the time one doesn't need to mess with run levels in Ubuntu.

Posted 6 years ago

azizlp

i want to boot to a shell prompt most of the time
i can then startx to start the x window manager anytime i choose to
its quite easy in fedora and suse (edit the /etc/inittab) but i did not find that file in ubuntu.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I did a few Google searches and found the following page https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/11131 which appears to have an answer to your question.
I'm not 100% sure though as I don't use Ubuntu.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.