The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Changing only motherboard and processor

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by alfz
  • Latest reply from jmcguire
  • Topic Viewed 1121 times

alfz

Is there anything particular i have to note?

My computer is already running fine, just that i want to upgrade the motherboard and processor and p.s.u.

Assuming i changed all the parts correctly, anything additional i might need to be aware?

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

Make sure your motherboard uses the RAM you currently have or you will have to upgrade that too.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

If you change the mobo, you loose your Vista license and have to (theoretically) buy a new Vista. But you can try to call Microsoft and have it reactivated - but have have a good story to tell them.
PS: You may want to read this thread too.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Although controversial, a (defective) motherboard does have standing to keep one's original MS license.
Defects may show up after use I.E. capacitor failure, poor soldier connections / points, etc., etc..
------
The other components mentioned are just considered (SAME) machine upgrades under the Eula.

Posted 5 years ago

alfz

my current windows xp pro is not even the original =X

Currently having a 2gb@667 and 1gb@533 in it (yes i know it runs at 533)(don't ask why it ended up like that lol)

I'll probably get another 2gb@667 to total up to 2*2gb@667.

--
Another thing i forgot to say, i'm currently running on AMD and i'll be switching to INTEL, anything else to add on here? :D

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Good idea. The 533 slows your system down.

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

As stated before, you will essentially loose your license to your OS if it is OEM, but if it is Retail, you will have no problem (unless PA fails [ thanks to raphoenix for that information ] and if it does, you will need to call Microsoft). You will need to reinstall your OS when you upgrade the motherboard and processor. Updating the power supply shouldn't cause any problem at all.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.