How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Changing my security code on my Linksys wireless router

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by evastarr
  • Latest reply from evastarr
  • Topic Viewed 25886 times

evastarr
evastarr

My roommate went into my router & with the help of a third party tried clearing my settings and changing them so she could get in, which left my router UNSECURED (she evidently lost the wep password that I gave her (we share an internet connection, she has a wireless, which was connected through my router). In the event of the 3rd party which I spoke with, we changed some things re-secured it and I gave her a new key. He talked me through some stuff at this site http://192.168.1.1/. Since then she says she is moving out & canceled internet service, I have since reinstated my internet service but in the meantime she still is living here and has my secured code for the wireless. I want to reset (or change) the security code, I have gone to that site and tried to figure it out on my own but now "I" can't even get into my lap top...Please help and walk me through exactly what I need to do and WHERE do my settings need to be on that site http://192.168.1.1/ because there are a lot of boxes to check such as enable and disable and numbers etc. I hope this is enough information for you. Thanks in advance for your successful solution. Eva

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Eva, hello. Please tell us the make and model of your router. For example, I have a Linksys WRT54G. Also, what kind of Internet service do you have? Is it a cable modem, DSL, or something else?

Just as general advice, no matter the model, you should use WPA security and not WEP. WEP is a flawed security method that can be easily bypassed by hackers. Also, anyone who has physical access to your router can reset it to factory defaults by holding down the reset button. Typically, these routers have well known default passwords so that after a factory reset the router can be modified by any 3rd party.

When you say you can't get into your laptop, do you mean it can't access the Internet or is there another problem?

Posted 5 years ago

evastarr
evastarr

Scott: I have a WRK54G Ver.1.1, I use Time-Warner service with a modem, the connections between my internet and router are fine...I just need to change my security code with my wireless. I can get on my lap top as far as the internet service goes, when I use the drop-down menu, to see the list of wireless connections available I see the name I gave my router but when I click on it, it says retry either it is configured wrong or the internet isn't running...the internet IS running, so in my trying to "fix" the problem, I've created another one. All I'm trying to do is change my security code so my room mate can NOT get into my wireless connection any longer. I want it still to be secured, but I need to get into it. Does any of this make any sense? Thanks, Eva

Posted 5 years ago

evastarr
evastarr

PS Scott, you are very wise, I did forget to mention that is exactly what they did, they held down the reset button and reset it to default to get into it...and yes the default password was admin which everyone knows, I have sinced changed that. Thank you, Eva

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Eva, I don't want to get into the middle of it, because with ScottW you are in good hands. But I used to have this same router for a while. I am sure you still have the installation wizard disk. You can reset the router to factory conditions with the little brown nob in the back (hold it down for 30 seconds). Then you can reinstall from scratch with the wizard disk. The codes should have come with the packaging. I think they are "admin" and "password" (not very innovative for a password) - but I am not 100% sure. I do this by memory. Better check your paperwork.
But wait for ScottW to come back. He always has a more elegant solution.

Hmm, our postings crossed each other - lol.

Posted 5 years ago

evastarr
evastarr

Thanks, I DID reset the router last night, and did reinstall the CD wizard, but somewhere along the line I messed up something. Thanks for your help. Eva

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Eva, there are some nifty tutorials at the Linksys website that show you how to setup your router. They have screen shots of all of the configuration pages and clear instructions. Try these and see how it works. If you have questions, just ask us.

Main page: http://www.linksys.com/servlet.....0577881B05
Wireless setup: http://linksys.custhelp.com/cg.....7038305B05
Wireless security: http://linksys.custhelp.com/cg....._lva=3967#

Remember, don't use WEP when given that option.

Posted 5 years ago

ian2
ian2

I would agree with Scott and his help And double add do not use WEP I recently had to help my father who is on other side of the country and here is what I sent him .Also if your roommate is still there you may have to keep resetting your router as they may do the same when your not at home .Its a copy/paste from my email to my father so ignore the fact that it starts with DAD

.." DAD you can do all this wirelessly Have your computer off then do the reset after the reset start your computer .It should find the router automatically.. and open firefox 192.168.1.1 thats the number that will have to go in the address bar then press enter

Just print this out at work and follow the steps below

The router can be set to factory default by pressing the Reset button of the router Pressing the Reset button on the back of the router for 30 seconds will reset your router to its factory default settings. Any settings on the router will be erased and the router’s IP address will become “192.168.1.1,” the username is still blank, and the password will be “admin.”

To perform a hardware reset on your Linksys router follow the steps below.

Resetting the Router Using the Reset Button

Step 1:
Take note of the current settings of the device before resetting.

Step 2:
Press the Reset button of the router for 30 seconds.

Don't worry about step one dad we will redo the settings.....

If your computer was on when you do this restart the computer and it should find the router...

It will be named linksys again.....

user name blank means leave it blank NOT THE WORD BLANK

Type 192.168.1.1 in your address bar and press enter
If it auto fills the name and password change them to
username Blank and password admin

Once your logged in click on the setup tab and change the router name and password
to something you will remember. then press save settings...

then press the wireless tab then wireless securitytab

then security mode select wpa2 personal

then select wpa algorithms select aes

then select wpa shared key make up a password

then click save settings..."

Posted 5 years ago

evastarr
evastarr

Scott & Ian:
Thanks, I have not been able to do any of this b/c my room mate has been around, but I will definitely try both of your advice...and let you know how it works out! Thanks, Eva

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!