The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Changing IE8

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by crlamb
  • Latest reply from Hermitt
  • Topic Viewed 297 times

crlamb

I got up this morning and found that Microsoft has changed my browser from IE7 to IE8. I love it when Microsoft changes MY computer when I did not ask for the change. I do not like what I am seeing....little things like "My Favorites" are gone. I am running Windows 7, can I go back to IE7 ? If so, how can I accomplish this ?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

To see if your Favorites are still on your pc, type favorites in the search bar, if so you should be able to import

Mike

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

If you are running Win7, you should be running IE9 (although 8 is ok). I'm surprised windows didn't upgrade you to that instead of IE8. As for why, I believe that M$ has ended support for IE7.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

It is your choice, not Microsoft's, whether or not to apply updates automatically.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

True, Xhi. I have my M$ updates set to download automatically but I determine which ones I will apply (usually all of them but there is the occasional rare one I don't want) and when to apply them (I like to wait a couple, three days before installing on the odd chance there may be a glitch in one of the updates). I've got reminders set on my calendar set to watch out for M$ trying to foist IE10 on me. I don't want it installed until I've heard from others on if it's any good or not (what I've heard so far seems consistent with the other crap M$ has been trying to foist on us lately).

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I don't want it installed until I've heard from others on if it's any good or not

Hmmm, foisting the responsibility on others who do download automatically, lol. However, those may not be the wisest folks to base an opinion on or they would not have been automatically downloading to begin with.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Automatically?

Never in the field of human conflict were so many automatic downloads so much 'woed' by so many updaters to so few who knew or didn't

Rule of thumb, turn the auto updates off, wait and see and watch this space

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Automatic downloading isn't a problem since nothing happens until you install (other than an occasional nag balloon that isn't often enough to be a problem). It's the automatic installs that can be problematic.

And yes, I do foist the responsibility on others who download (and install) automatically. Why should I be a guinea pig when there are countless others who cheerfully do it for me, albeit possibly with less than cheerful results? With such a large playing field, it's easy to pick out the valid complaints from the garbage.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Don't know why, but I automatically update all 8 of my computers XP, Vista, 7 and 8 versions and I have never had a serious problem. So I will be your guinea pig.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

@ crlamb

I got up this morning and found that Microsoft has changed my browser from IE7 to IE8. I love it when Microsoft changes MY computer when I did not ask for the change. I do not like what I am seeing....little things like "My Favorites" are gone. I am running Windows 7, can I go back to IE7 ? If so, how can I accomplish this ?

How did you get IE7 in Win7 in the first place?
Win7 installs IE8 as the default browser and can't be downgraded to a lower version.
Although you can Run Multiple IE Versions Simultaneously if you install this special program.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.