SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Changed my computer name in Vista, but defaults to old name?

(4 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by alexis1126y2k
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 2992 times

alexis1126y2k

I bought a laptop from a friend. I renamed the computer in my Welcome Center, and renamed my user account. However, when I right-click on all documents (old and new) the properties show the old computer name. If I go to the Welcome Center and try to change the Computer name again, and click ok without typing a new name, it defaults back to the original name, even though my name is the most recent computer name. (Does that make sense?)

Any suggestions?

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

The documents were created when the computer had a different name, right? That seems normal.

Is the name currently set correctly? What I was confused about is if it defaults to the original name only when you are trying to change it.

Posted 7 years ago

alexis1126y2k

No, all the documents were created under the new name. And if I go try to change it again, it shows up my name, but if I clear that out and try to save a blank name, it defaults to the old one. If I go to my welcome center and go through the files and stuff, it still has her name for the user name. I can't find anywhere else to change it though.

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

What would probably be a much better idea to do is to create a new username with your name, and then switch to using that.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.