How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Change NTFS version

(5 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by InDiSent
  • Latest reply from InDiSent
  • Topic Viewed 5466 times

InDiSent

Hi all,

I was using partition magic 8 to try to resize my C: drive. It's and 80GB drive and i had partitioned it at one time. I would like to resize the partition to use the whole 80GB. Here is the problem. When i try to resize the partition i am told by partition magic that the c: drive is ntfs 3.0 and the d: drive is ntfs 3.1 . Both partitions need to be the same ntfs version. Does anyone know how i can accomlish this? Thanks.

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

I'm guessing that your C: is the one with Vista on it?

I'll have to look into this...

Posted 7 years ago

InDiSent

Actually the C: drive has XP. The D: drive used to have the beta version of Vista. I am building a new machine Just for Vista.....i got the ultimate version. So i wanted to reclaim the rest of the hard drive for xp.

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

My suggestion would be that you copy any data off the vista D: partition onto somewhere else, and then delete the partition.

Then you could easily use partition magic to extend the C: partition, instead of trying to join the partitions together.

Posted 7 years ago

InDiSent

Hmmm, i don't see an option to extend a partition. I am using partition magic 8. I think i'll just leave the partition there and maybe install Ubuntu on it.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.