How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Change font color in cell

(7 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by les
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 904 times

les

Windows XP Microsoft Office Excel 2003 SP3
Here is what I am trying to do; Cell A7 is set up as an entry cell. Cell E7 is the target cell.
If cell A7 is blank, the phrase is E7 “Labor per Hour” appears in black font. If there is an entry in A7, I want the font to be in blue. What I have tried; In cell E57 I entered the phrase “Labor per Hour” with black font and cell E58 I entered the same text in blue font and in cell E7 entered the formula =IF(A7=0,E57,E58). It works except it does not bring the color change. Can it be done some way? Maybe something that will just change the font color.

Moree if you get this Hi from Colorado USA and as always Thank you for your help.

Posted 2 years ago

bobro
bobro

I am not great with this stuff but i think you might be able to do this with a bit of and if:(cell A = This, Then: THIS) else: this
you would then make the relevent 'this' macros, (record the steps of making that cell XXXX colour) i think thats how i did it.

probably a better way and maybe someone eles can help better...

if no one says anything have a google on Macros and what you can do with them...

Posted 2 years ago

moreeg
moreeg

Hi Les
Welcome back! Hope your invoicing system is still working for you.

Seems what you need for this problem is "Conditional formatting". It's been a while since I used 2003 but if you want this to apply to a range of cells e.g. E7-E50 highlight those cells and then click on Conditional Formatting you'll see a Condition Box where you select "Formula is" and in the next input box type in

=A7<>""

then click on Format and select the font colour you want (blue).

If I remember correctly it may change your condition by putting quotes around it and dollar signs in it. Just get rid of them and click okay. Give it a try and if it doesn't work post a screen shot of the conditional formatting boxes and we'll figure it out from there.

Posted 2 years ago

les

Hello Moree,
The invoicing system is working great and this works great also. This little formula will really simplify what I was trying to do.
Thanks again Moree and I hope all is well with you.
Les

Posted 2 years ago

moreeg
moreeg

No worries. Your questions are always welcome so don't hesitate to ask.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

les

Here is what I am trying to do.
Windows XP Microsoft Office Excel 2010
I have an entry cell B6 and a data cell C6. In cell A7 I have the formula =ROUNDUP(B6/C6,0)
What I want to do is if the value in cell B6 is less than 200 it will roundup the value in A7, but if the value in B6 is greater than 200 it will not round up. Is this possible?

Second question.
About 4 months ago I posted a question on how to change the font color in Excel 2003 when a certain condition was met in an entry cell. Moreeg sent me a response that worked great. Conditional Formatting. Since then I have upgraded to Excel 2010 and now it does not work right. I have to exit out of the page to make it work. If I exit and go back to the page it will have changed but as long as I am on the page it does not change.

If you get this Moreeg Hello from Colorado USA. Hope all is well with you.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

@Les: Please post New questions as a new topic.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!