How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Change computer name

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LarrySr
  • Latest reply from m2k1981
  • Topic Viewed 555 times

LarrySr
LarrySr

I have an old PC that was given to me. I am fixing it up and I will find it a new home with someone who cannot afford to purchase a computer. I have cleared off all the original owners information as he requested. The only thing that still links this computer to its original owner is the computer name. He put his name as the computer name. Is there a way to change this without re-installing the operating system?

Posted 1 year ago

RRRoman

I'm sure there is... Could you please specify what operating system it is?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

For the case you describe I would highly recommend to reinstall the OS. An 'old' OS always accumulates a lot of stuff and as a consequence is running very slowly.

Recently I reinstalled a 6 year old XP on a friend's system - after that, it then ran 3 times faster.

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

It is an old Gateway with an AMD Athlon processor. It is running Windows ME. I would install Windows XP but I do not have the drivers for this computer. I tried to install Windows XP as an upgrade but I got the message that Windows XP can not be installed as an upgrade to Window ME. I have no idea what type of mother board it has or what drivers are required. So if I could just change the computer name I would consider this a success. This computer will only be used to run Microsoft Word and Excel for school work, do some basic email. and possible do some searches on the internet for school projects. So just being able to change the computer name would be enough.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

If you right click My Computer on the Desktop and select properties, you should find a tab called Computer Name, you can change it there. Just click on change button at the bottom.
That will work for the Computer Name, unless you are talking about the Registered Owners Name that's different matter, still can be change though!

Instructions for that here

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....n-windows/

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Use Regedit and search for his name that is the computer name. Change any entries you find.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

Thank you. Going into Regedit worked great.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

For the future, try this. Much easier, and faster to search for entries,
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

LH, that's a good one - makes work a lot easier.

Posted 1 year ago

m2k1981

Basically problem is same but os is Kubuntu 12.04

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

m2k1981 hi. Please start your own New Topic. It is not polite to jump on someone else's thread.

Posted 1 year ago

m2k1981

@Lighthouse If u want u can take out or delete my post; please do so. Thank you for tell me what is correct and SORRY for what i done.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.