How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - CD/DVD drive doesn't show up at all

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Cassie
  • Latest reply from Kingpoppacap
  • Topic Viewed 18012 times

Cassie

Hello,

A week or two ago I wanted to watch a movie on my laptop but when I put the disc in it didn't work. Autoplay didn't come up, and both WMP & iTunes didn't register the disc. When I went into My Computer, the D: drive wasn't there; also, it doesn't show up in Device Manager. I've skimmed various other sites for solutions but none seem to be working...I've tried rebooting several times but that didn't work. I don't have any burning software whatsoever, so I don't know what the problem is.

Specs:
HP Pavilion dv6105
Windows Vista Home Premium w/ SP1 x32
AMD Turion 64
2GB of memory

Some suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Posted 5 years ago

Chazeiton1
Chazeiton1

buy a new CD/DVD Drive or use VLC u can google search it and when u install it and open it up go to file open disk and selct the disk and it might work IT MIGHT..

Posted 5 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

Hi Cassie. This shortcut Microsoft is specific to your problem. D drive disappears in My Computer, Device Manager and is for Win Vista. Hope this helps...Garry

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

This is practically the same link as above - but it has an automatic fix.

Posted 5 years ago

Cassie

thanks for the great suggestions, but I've already tried deleting the Upper & Lower filters & rebooting, and my drive still doesn't show up anywhere. Could it be possible that there's something wrong with the hardware...?

Posted 5 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

Cassie, I would like to ask you to please be careful as to what fixes you try. I have almost the same problem you have with a few differences. Now, I have tried so many fixes that I can no longer boot with my XP to repair or to re-install. In fact, I can't boot with any disk. Of these fixes I sought out on the internet on my own, I'm pretty sure it's related to my condition now. Wanted to pass that along to you. Good luck...Garry

Posted 5 years ago

Cassie

Hey again,

Okay so I brought my laptop into Staples and they fixed it by taking it out and just putting it back in again. Wow.

Now my issue is that my lower filter is gone; I made a backup of the registry file and I put it back in the registry but now it says that it can't access that folder. Does anyone know where I could find & possibly download the key for it?

Posted 4 years ago

Ted16
Ted16

I had a similar problem in windows xp after trying to get ashampoo 9 to work. After downloading codecs and changing the upper and lower filters.
Having not much computer knowledge I simply did a restore and it cured everything and has been fine since.
Please excuse me if this answer is too naive but i have had such help from the forum it would be nice to help back.
Ted

Posted 4 years ago

Cassie

Hey everyone, thanks for all the help. I forgot to click solved, so I'm just gonna post the solution I had - get a new CD/DVD drive. Hope this helps anyone else with this problem.
~Cassie

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

Kingpoppacap

i had a similar problem but mine was more asinine check it out it happened like 2 days ago

don't laugh to hard i almost thought i had to do what u did but i was lucky

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=5

hope things keep runnig great

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!