The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

cd tray not working

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by SCOTTFOLWELL
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 809 times

SCOTTFOLWELL

hi guy's i recently put windows 7 onto my computer, what i'm finding is that i can no longer seem to load software onto my computer via disk, i have to download from internet. when i put a disk into the tray,the light comes on for a few seconds then it seems to turn itself off??, i cannot watch dvd's or play any cd's . any ideas please??.

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Hi Scott. Does the drive appear in Device Manager? (Control Panel > System > Device Manager)

Posted 4 years ago

InterPC
InterPC

Make sure you also have the latest drivers installed for your CD/DVD drive.

Posted 4 years ago

SCOTTFOLWELL

hi there yes it appears in device manager.and the latest drivers are installed.the message that comes up is "..its configuration settings(in registry) is incomplete or damaged(code19).." does this help you to help me solve this?? thank you. scott

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Does it show in Disk Management ?
Have you got a Restore Point available from before it happened ?

Uninstall the drivers and shut down the computer for 10 seconds. Bootup.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

If what LH suggests doesn't work, I'd DELETE the device in Device Manager and then re-boot. The computer should find new h/w and install it. Tell it to use the driver it found, and it should re-write the registry.

Irv S>

Posted 4 years ago

SCOTTFOLWELL

just tried the above still no joy, is this just a windows 7 issue?? how do i reinstall cd rom and driver? scott

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

If you know the make and model of the CD ROM (you should see that info in Device Manager) I'd try to see if the maker has a web site and then get the latest driver from them. If you can't find a site, go to the computer manufactures site and see if they have a d/l for you specific system. If that doesn't work, if you got CD's with your computer, it might have individual drivers to install. If you don't have that, GOOGLE the device for drivers and Win7. There is always the possibility that Win7 drivers don't exist? You said you recently added Win7 and that could be the root cause of your problem. If you went from x64 to x64 you could be OK if you did an upgrade from Vista to W7. If it was x86 (32 bit) to x64 (64 bit) it could be part of the problem. Anything else you'd have done a clean install probably. So, first thing to do is check is a Vista or W7 driver even exists for the device.

What drive is it BTW?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!