CD Drive is locked

(29 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 9499 times

whs
whs

I was trying to eject my CD drive and got the following message

There is definitely no CD in the drive - but the little green light on the drive is on. Any attempt to open it either thru Eject or manually or by sticking a pin into the little hole failed. Checked on the web and several other people seemed to have the problem, but no solution was suggested. Anybody have an idea on how to open this bugger?
PS. My driver is up-to-date. I checked that.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Hi whs. Why were you trying to eject a non existent CD?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Lighthouse, I do Eject to open the bay. Wanted to use the CD drive. That has always worked.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Try turning your computer off and sticking the pin in maybe?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Taybay, tried that too (3 different pins). No luck. Maybe the device is defunct. But I wonder why Vista says it is "in use"? Anybody know how to "eject" with the BIOS?

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Well I think if you can't open it up with the power off then there is a hardware problem. I don't think the BIOS would open it, but it's worth a shot.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

If you can't eject it while the machine is powered on, then it's probably because windows thinks it's in use... I have a similar problem with my linux box all the time.

In some cases, rebooting the machine and then pressing the cd eject button right when you power the machine on, will let it eject.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Hi Geek, Tried that too. I think the thing is fried. Will have to try my srewdriver skills. The box is only 3 months old. But I hate to send the whole box to HP.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I'm betting a hammer and chisel would work, but might void the warranty =)

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Stock answer - disable/change the driver

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Called HP. Once I was lucky and got a real intelligent person. Made a few tests together - some of them I had not done yet. They determined that the unit is kaputt and are sending a new unit. Now I really have to find my screwdriver. Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Posted 6 years ago

dskawatra
dskawatra

Hi,

Solution (Workaround)
1. Remove any media that may be present in the ODD. You may have to do this manually.
2. Shut down the PC even if you have to force the shutdown by holding the power button
until the PC is off.
3. Start the PC and allow it to boot to the Desktop (hard drive activity light mostly off)
4. Close all other running applications
Firmware Update TSST TS-H653N Optical Disc Drive

5. Close Total Care by clicking the “X� in the upper right corner so it does not obscure any
installation windows
6. Download and save sp37245 to the Desktop from hp.com:
a. If you can’t find the download for the specific PC model the customer has, go to
hp.com and look up the sp37325 using another model (see below)
b. Click on Support and Drivers
c. Enter “S3300z� in the product search box, click on “Software and Driver
downloads�
d. Choose the Vista version that is applicable (32-Bit or 64-Bit is the same softpaq)
e. Click on the link “TSST DVD-R/RW TS-H653N Drive Firmware Update�
f. Scroll down to see the “Download only� button and click on it
g. Click on the “Save� button and save it to the Desktop for easy access
7. Double click the icon label sp37245. Read and follow the on-screen instructions.
8. Restart the PC if it does not automatically restart.
9. Boot to the Desktop - note the ODD activity indicator light (Green) should flash
momentarily during startup.
10. When the PC boots to the Desktop - have the customer open the ODD drive tray and
close it.
11. Open Device Manager, click on the “plus� sign (+) next to “DVD/CD-ROM drives�
12. Double click on the TSST Corp TS-H653N drive, click on the “Details� Tab
13. Press the down arrow key on the keyboard one time so it is looking at the “Hardware Ids�
properties.
14. Confirm that the FW is “0409� (you may need to horizontally scroll to the right to see the
end of the ID strings.
15. If the ODD drive tray does not open/close or the FW is blank in Device Manager - the
FW Update is NOT complete and must be re-run after shutting down the PC.
16. Once the FW Update is complete perform a quick functional check of the drive to ensure it plays
17. To re-run the FW Update (sp37245) re-accomplish the steps listed above.

IF UPDATE HANGS OR FAILS, REBOOT THE PC AND TRY AGAIN.... AFTER UPDATE YOU MIGHT SEE THAT YOUR DRIVE TRAY WILL EJECT AND CLOSE AUTOMATICALLT FOR COUPLE OF TIMES.....

Let me know if this fixes your problem.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Thanks for the posting. I'll try this tonight. In any case a replacement drive is on the way from HP. I would, of course, prefer to fix the one I have - less work with the screwdriver.
PS. Out of curiosity: Where did you find this procedure? I Googled everything and found zip.

Posted 6 years ago

dskawatra
dskawatra

I found this from HP Website.... I worked with HP for 4 years...

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Just tried to install sp37245. It froze my system during the update. Restarted it in safe mode (no big deal). Maybe it happened because I did not close all applications (had the webradio running on AOL). The green light on the DVD reader did flicker though. Maybe there is hope. Will try again later.

Posted 6 years ago

dskawatra
dskawatra

First time it will freeze...Restart the comp and close all the applications and then run the update again.... keep me posted about this.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Same result second time - freeze. I guess I will wait for my new device. It should arrive mid week - no sweat.
PS. Any idea why it freezes?

Posted 6 years ago

dskawatra
dskawatra

I have tried this on 2 Pcs...on second pc it froze for 4 times....fifth time it did it.......

Posted 6 years ago

dskawatra
dskawatra

What is the drive model ?

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

@dskawatra

Thanks for hanging around our forum, we get a lot of questions about HP products, very helpful to have our own HP geek!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!