1. Remove any media that may be present in the ODD. You may have to do this manually.
2. Shut down the PC even if you have to force the shutdown by holding the power button
until the PC is off.
3. Start the PC and allow it to boot to the Desktop (hard drive activity light mostly off)
4. Close all other running applications
Firmware Update TSST TS-H653N Optical Disc Drive
5. Close Total Care by clicking the â€śXâ€? in the upper right corner so it does not obscure any
6. Download and save sp37245 to the Desktop from hp.com:
a. If you canâ€™t find the download for the specific PC model the customer has, go to
hp.com and look up the sp37325 using another model (see below)
b. Click on Support and Drivers
c. Enter â€śS3300zâ€? in the product search box, click on â€śSoftware and Driver
d. Choose the Vista version that is applicable (32-Bit or 64-Bit is the same softpaq)
e. Click on the link â€śTSST DVD-R/RW TS-H653N Drive Firmware Updateâ€?
f. Scroll down to see the â€śDownload onlyâ€? button and click on it
g. Click on the â€śSaveâ€? button and save it to the Desktop for easy access
7. Double click the icon label sp37245. Read and follow the on-screen instructions.
8. Restart the PC if it does not automatically restart.
9. Boot to the Desktop - note the ODD activity indicator light (Green) should flash
momentarily during startup.
10. When the PC boots to the Desktop - have the customer open the ODD drive tray and
11. Open Device Manager, click on the â€śplusâ€? sign (+) next to â€śDVD/CD-ROM drivesâ€?
12. Double click on the TSST Corp TS-H653N drive, click on the â€śDetailsâ€? Tab
13. Press the down arrow key on the keyboard one time so it is looking at the â€śHardware Idsâ€?
14. Confirm that the FW is â€ś0409â€? (you may need to horizontally scroll to the right to see the
end of the ID strings.
15. If the ODD drive tray does not open/close or the FW is blank in Device Manager - the
FW Update is NOT complete and must be re-run after shutting down the PC.
16. Once the FW Update is complete perform a quick functional check of the drive to ensure it plays
17. To re-run the FW Update (sp37245) re-accomplish the steps listed above.
IF UPDATE HANGS OR FAILS, REBOOT THE PC AND TRY AGAIN.... AFTER UPDATE YOU MIGHT SEE THAT YOUR DRIVE TRAY WILL EJECT AND CLOSE AUTOMATICALLT FOR COUPLE OF TIMES.....
Let me know if this fixes your problem.