The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Ccleaner latest version not exceutable in XP-Pro

(7 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by amkeew
  • Latest reply from SarahJames
  • Topic Viewed 583 times

amkeew

I downloaded the CCleaner latest version 325 (using the old Ccleaner "check for update function" at the bottom right corner). The file was downloaded in the firefox download folder.

When I ran the exe file, nothing happened. Thinking the download was corrupted, I deleted it and downloaded exe file again (from piriform site). The same problem persisted. So I deleted the second download also.

Ran the old Ccleaner. Rebooted. Third time download of the latest version from piriform site. Again, the exe file is not opening.

What could be the problem?

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames

Here is the portable verion. Could you give that a try and see if the problem still appears?

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

whs

The problem is that XP is too old and people are not spending any effort to support it any more. It's time to move on.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

I just downloaded it and installed it on my XP Home and XP Media Center Edition computers without problem. I would recommend that you remove CCleaner using Revo Uninstaller in Advanced mode deleting everything it finds. Then try the install again.

Posted 2 years ago

amkeew

SarahJames - Thanks a bunch. It worked like magic. After unzipping and extracting the exe file, it installed in a flash.

Two questions

1. Why didn't the original downloaded exe file work ?

2. How come the portable file installs so fast ? It took just a coupla seconds, while the original exe file, even in my hotshot i5 processor, 8 gig laptop, takes about 45 seconds.

Posted 2 years ago

amkeew

whs - The update was suggested by the old CCleaner itself. It had a message at bottom right corner, saying a new version was available.

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames

Ummm, amkeew, the portable doesn't install - you'll have to copy the exe yourself to the location where you have ccleaner installed.
Maybe that's why you feel it works so fast? Because it instantly runs Ccleaner instead of installing first?

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.