How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Ccleaner 3.13 problem?

(8 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by SarahJames
  • Latest reply from Hermitt
  • Topic Viewed 1000 times

SarahJames
SarahJames

Since two or three days I'm getting Windows Explorer has stopped working message on startup and an unworkable pc.
I restore an image and all is well again, but then I reboot and it starts again.
So I restored an image of a month ago - an image I am 200% certain of that it is a good and valid image - and darn! Same problem about an hour later (rebooted several times to test).
After trying to find out what the culprit is (I had made some tweaks lately) I end up with a totally unexpected source: the latest version of CCleaner (version 3.13).
I have CCleaner set to run silently in the background and since I never suspected this to be the cause I replaced the new exe version time and time again.
I'm running 3.12 now and no problem at all. Even with my latest tweaks.
I'll reboot some more times to test if all keeps working fine, but wanted to post it to find out if anyone else has had problems with CCleaner lately.
Mind you - I only use the cleaning part, not the registry bit.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

No probs my end but then I just run it at the end of a session as opposed to in the background. I'll have a dig around though.

Edit : See if these meet your problems. http://forum.piriform.com/inde.....opic=34573

Seems similar.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Like GuiltySpark no problem but again I run at end of session.
Running win7 and only use the cleaner.
Will change to run in backround to see if things change

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Not exactly the same problem as in your post, GS, since I don't get a message that CC has stopped working, my whole explorer.exe crashes and restarting it doesn't help. It get's in a loop. Restoring an image is the only way to get back into Windows. So for the moment I'll stick to version 3.12
I've been restoring images and rebooting for all eternity (well, that's how it felt anyway LOL), so now it's time to watch the news and relax a bit :)

Nice to see you guys picking up on this, because for me CCleaner is the last thing I suspect of causing trouble, so I was rather taken aback :S

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Did you contact CCleaner about the prob yet ?

Posted 2 years ago

edmenje
edmenje

Thanks for the heads-up SJ. I myself am using an older version, and if I do decide to update at least this issue will be on my mind. If I do get the same effect as you have had, you will have helped me to understand what's going on. I also use CCleaner silently at boot on a number of machines in a computer lab. If this had happened to me there I would have torn my hair out (that is, if genetics hadn't done that for me already).

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Just did :)

Posted 2 years ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Thanks SarahJames for the heads up.
I also had been having a problem with MSE failing to do scheduled scans and definition updates and I finally traced my problem to CCleaner. I guess it was deleting a system setting. To reset MSE, I had to do a ShutDown, then turn the PC back on which fixed the problem with MSE but as soon as CCleaner ran again, the problem would return.
I just uninstalled CCleaner about 30 minutes ago and won't install it again until they fix this issue.

Jim

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.