How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Career in IT

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by rozlana
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1244 times

rozlana

Hi,

I have a adv dip in Computer Engineering. Currently working as a IT support in MMS (Microsoft Managed Solution). I want to pursue on in IT but not sure how to do it. Can anyone advice on what i should do? Some of my friends say do MCP, CCNA and MCSA and do need to do a degree. Will that be good. Pls advice. Thanks to all and in advance.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

I would always advise getting a college degree over anything else. The certifications are good, but they won't move your career as far unless you have a degree. Once you do have a degree, they can help you get a job.

Note that I'm in the US, so my opinion is based on my experiences here. Yours may vary.

Posted 6 years ago

rozlana

Thanks Geek,
But in IT, there are so many types of degree...any advise what i should take..
Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

LukeTurnbull

take a MSCDT (Microsoft Certified Desk Top Techinician ) you get a big insight into ict on that course.
not just microsoft related hardware/software but also TCP/IP settings and lots on office, 16 bit systems etc.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Abdul, nothing beats a degree from a reputable university (best in computer sciences). I have hired hundreds of young IT people in my life, and the first sorting is always from their papers. For e.g. 5 openings we usually had several thousand applicants. Those were sorted out by the personal department and what I usually saw, was only the top of the pile. And those personal people go strictly by the formal criteria. You can be the best guy in the world, but if it does not show in your papers, you will not even pass the first test.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.