The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Apple / OS X

Captured video files need to be converted to windows

(9 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 1727 times

jack7h3r1pp3r

ok so i had to back up some video files for a friend and he had a mac and the reason that he wanted me to back them up for him was so that he could sell his mac. so now i have all of the captured video files but now since i have no mac and he has sold his the files seem to be useless because they can't be used in any video editing software in windows or at least nothing that i have right now. so i am wondering if there is a way to use the clips that he had without using a mac? i tried to search google but cannot find anything really worth while yet. i would really like to get this working because some of that stuff is really important to him because he doesn't have the tapes to capture the video again either.

Posted 6 years ago

JadeEmperor

hi jack, how's it going?

too bad your friend sold his mac so soon. here let me google that for you :-)

good luck!

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i still can't find a a solution to this yet :(

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Jack, what format are they in?

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Jack, I don't know Macs, but I thought that all Mac videos were in a format that could be read by Quicktime for Windows. Modern mac videos should contain MPEG-4 video streams, such as AVC, ASP, 3GP, and so on. Older files might contain video streams compressed with Sorenson, Cinepak, or other. I would check the format with MediaInfo.

Also, those files might be archived in some Mac-type format such as StuffIt. Again, not my area of expertise, just spitballing here.

Posted 6 years ago

JadeEmperor

those Mac files, as seen from a Windows system, contains two files which Windows can't make figure out how to handle. so even if it's Quicktime file to Windows they are two files. i just forgot the extensions.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

they don't seem to have any kind of file extension on them. which is part of my delema they just seem to say clip01, clip02, .....

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

So you should load those files into MediaInfo which can read the header data, if there is any, and tell you what kind of streams are inside and if they are in a recognized container format or just elementary streams.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

alright i will try that but it may be a bit because i don't really have internet at my new apartment yet and somehow i don't have a flash drive on me right now so i will check it tomorrow :)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.