The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Can't Uninstall Program

(16 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by rosakw
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 7739 times

rosakw

I installed Secunia PSI 1.0 after reading the How-To-Geek article about it. One of the "Insecure Programs" I have is Sun Java JRE 1.6x6.x. I downloaded the latest update, but it requires that I uninstall the older version by using Control Panel Programs & Features. When I try to uninstall it a box pops up with this message: "You do not have sufficent access to uninstall Java(TM)6 update 5. Please contact your system administrator." I am considered the administrator, as I'm the only one that uses this computer and I'm not on a network or anything. If anyone has a suggestion I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

Gandalf

Open Control Panel > User Accounts
Are you listed there as ...

Your name
Administrator

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Do the following:
1. Right click on the Secunia Icon in the system tray and say "Exit"
2. Use Revo to uninstall Scunia. Choose the 4th option (advanced) in Revo and make sure to delete the Secunia register entries in the second pass.
This should work.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

whs, OP needs to uninstall Java, not Secunia.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Sorry - it's getting late. Thanks ScottW for pointing it out.

Posted 5 years ago

rosakw

ScottW, I am listed as Administrator.

Posted 5 years ago

Gandalf

Vista is like this. So much protection, you can't maintain your own computer.
Secunia told me the same thing. It is possible. I did it.

From your Help function, enter Change Data Execution Prevention settings
Follow the steps. Make sure the first DEP option is selected.

From your Help function, enter Turn User Account Control on or off
Unselect the option.

I think that's all.

From the Control Panel, uninstall ALL repeat ALL Java related software.

Download and install this program (it's free) CCleaner.
After installing...run the program...
Before the first use, select Options > Advanced and UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
Click on Analyzer...then click on Run Cleaner.

On the left side of the window, click on Registry...click on Scan for issues...click on Fix selected issues.

Now download/install JAVA.

Good Luck

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

rosakw, try uninstalling Java in Safe Mode. Restart Windows, start tapping the F8 key when you see the system's splash screen (often the manufacturer's logo). This will take you to the Advanced Boot Options menu where you can choose Safe Mode. Try the Java uninstall that way, then restart back to Windows normally.

Also, use the little utility, JavaRa, which will look for old Java files and remove what it can. You need to run JavaRa with administrator privileges, so right-click on it and select "Run as administrator" to launch it.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

May help,
http://www.malwarebytes.org/fileassassin.php

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Gandalf, I could not *disagree* with you more! We do not tell new members to permanently disable UAC and neuter DEP. Doing these things makes a system more vulnerable to a virus or malware infection. Secunia PSI is designed to help reduce infections, as well, by patching potentially vulnerable applications. Major surgery is not called for to remove a splinter or uninstall Java! That's bad advice.

Posted 5 years ago

rosakw

I tried uninstalling in Safe Mode and got this message: "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact you support personnel for assistance." This is a new computer...bought in Jan., so I assume the Windows Installer came preinstalled on the computer? Obviously I don't know much, if anything about technical things regarding computers!

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

rosakw, yes the Installer is part of Windows. Follow the steps 1-5 under "Start the Windows Installer service" in the following article:
http://www.winhelponline.com/b.....-accessed/

Don't do the second set of steps. If you should get an error message or something doesn't look right, stop and write back here with the details.

Posted 5 years ago

rosakw

ScottW, I went to the link you provided and followed steps 1-5 with no problem. I tried again to uninstall the program and got this message: "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation."

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

rosakw, that's interesting. You peel away one error message to reveal another lurking beneath. It's not all that uncommon.

Next, try the second set of steps 1-5 under "Windows Installer Registry Fix" in that same article from before.

Posted 5 years ago

rosakw

Hooray! It worked! Thank you so much!!

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Great news! You're very welcome.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.