The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

cant remember linksys router password

(5 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by airth1
  • Latest reply from Travis299
  • Topic Viewed 4034 times

airth1

is there a way to recover a password without resetting router linksys.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Had you changed the default settings?
Default logins here; http://compnetworking.about.co.....asswds.htm

If you changed then you would have to reset the router to the default.

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Which p/w are you asking about?

The actual p/w for the router when you logon or the one for the wireless security connection? I assume you had changed the logon one and forgot it?

If it is the security p/w, should be easy to do. Some routers will display it rather than the asterisks and have a check box for that. Some network devices utilities have the same capability. If they don't, there are programs that will show stars as the characters.

If it is the logon one, and you did change it, I don't think any 'crackers' might get the p/w. There could be some around though, but I don't know of any.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Please folks, write the router passwords down on a sticker and stick it to the router. That's safe because any one who gets close enough to your router to read the passwords can either reset it and set their own, or steal the router. The only thing router passwords and passphrases do is to prevent those who do not have actual access to the router from doing bad things.

Posted 2 years ago

Travis299

The Linksys router has a logon password and a wireless passphrase. From a wired connection go to 192.168.1.1 and see if you can logon with a blank user ID and admin as the password. If this works look under wireless, wireless security and you will be able to enter the new passphrase for the wireless connections.

If this fails then you will have to reset the router back to factory defaults where the admin password will work.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!