The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Can't Pin Local Area Connection - Shortcut to Start Menu

(3 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by jjunkk
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 2433 times

jjunkk

In Windows 7 I have created a shortcut to "Local Area Connection" and that works well. But how can I Pin that shortcut to the Start Menu. No matter what I do to try Windows 7 will not give me an option to do so. I tried to drag it to the Start Button, but that is denied. Is it even possable. In windows XP it was easy.

jj

Posted 5 years ago

triplemj
triplemj

Try this.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

jjunkk, hello. Your question is quite the challenge. I can't get a Connection to pin either, and I find no discussions about it anywhere.

There seem to be very few things that can't be pinned. I can pin Application shortcuts, Internet shortcuts, Folders, Control Panel items, Libraries, Desktop icons (Network, Recycle Bin, etc.), and Virtual Machines. Those are just the ones that I tried. But, that Local Area Connection won't pin -- not to the taskbar or the start menu. Why a network connection can't be pinned, as it could in XP, is beyond me. Maybe it's a bug. I can't think of any reason to prohibit this. I was able to add it to Start -> All Programs, but there are no "pin to..." selections in the context menu and it never shows up in the Recently Opened Programs list. Of course, it's not a "program".

You can pin the Network and Sharing Center, and even Network Connections, just not any of the actual connections. Bizarre!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.