SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Can't install Windows XP (Currently running Win8 RP)

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by MrDuck
  • Latest reply from MrDuck
  • Topic Viewed 809 times

MrDuck

Please help! Here are the two things I tried, step-by-step in a list. Note: XP and Win8 RP are 32-bit, and I have a partitioned SATA HDD.

SETUP.EXE via Win8 RP shows an option for installation, but is greyed out.

Booting from CD:
1) I inserted the installation CD and hit a key when I was prompted to boot from CD.
2) Many files were being copied and I was prompted to hit F3 to continue
3) With the original disc, I received an error saying "Setup did not find any hard disk drives."
With a new disc (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/resolving-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-during-windows-xp-installation/ -- I got SP2, no other changes) I get a corrupted sys file error.

Thanks for any help!

Posted 1 year ago

MrDuck

bump

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Perhaps a little more information would help, I think you are illegal.
Without data (info) we really can't help

Please also remember win 8 RP is ended

Now tell us what you really are trying to do....

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

The release preview is set to expire on January 15, 2013, so technically they have 11 days to test it out? Sounds like they are trying to either downgrade from RP to XP, or set up a dual-boot, I agree we need to more info....

Posted 1 year ago

MrDuck

I am currently running Win8 RP as I have for the past few months. I have an OEM XP reinstallation CD from the PC. I would like to be running XP (preferably dual-booting, but I am OK overwriting) before the 15th. When trying to reinstall XP, I get an error as described in my first post.

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Maybe has something to do with drivers for the SATA HDD?

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

MrDuck

Thus why I stated that it was a SATA HDD. The drivers in Win8 RP say that they are provided by Microsoft. Because of that, I cannot slipstream them. However, I don't see why that would cause the install button to be grayed out.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

Win8 RP may have altered the bios and/or created a hidden partition on the booting drive. Someone more skilled should chime in here. Installing Win8 RP in a dual-boot configuration at this point would not be advised: Win8 Release Preview expires in 11 days and you cannot upgrade RP to anything.

Posted 1 year ago

MrDuck

I know I can upgrade to Win8 Pro for $40, but I'm not going to pay that for an 8 year old laptop. I'm not sure if this helps figure out anything about the BIOS, but I was able to install Ubuntu 12.10, which now dual-boots with Win8 RP.

Posted 1 year ago

MrDuck

@Hermitt I opened the BIOS and saw an option for "Native SATA support" Any ideas?

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

MrDuck, if you purchase the Win8 OEM/System builder disk you may transfer that to a new laptop or desktop in the future, just sayin'.....It has transferability for around $100 the way old "Retail" WIndows media did.

Posted 1 year ago

MrDuck

Thanks, but since I've never bought a retail version of Windows, and don't ever see myself needing one, I don't think that it's worth it for me.

Posted 1 year ago

MrDuck

I am happy to say that I am writing this from Windows XP! After I disabled "Native SATA Support", I had no fatal errors. However, I still need to change my Windows boot loader to add options for Win8 and Ubuntu.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.