The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

can't install ANY printer on windows 7/Dell Inspiron MT 560

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by lowtechblue
  • Latest reply from lowtechblue
  • Topic Viewed 1265 times

lowtechblue

Whether I download the driver for Canon PIXMA MP560 from the Canon site or put in their installation disc while installing driver, etc... the process stops under "registering program information" with this message " an error occurred while files were being copied " . I tried to install a basic no frills HP printer and got SAME message. I have DSL with a modem. I plugged in the multifunction all in one "printer" into a USB port in my Dell tower.. no go.

Looking for the moon here,
Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

lowtechblue,

Just some rules of thumb.

1. Always Install hardware using the Built-in Administrator Account.

2. Don't keep trying to re- install software that fails to install - It will leave the registry in a mess.

3. If something fails, find out WHY and don't keep installing different programs on
top of each other "hoping for success".

4. Turn OFF any AVs and Disable the firewall plus Reboot before installing any local hardware.

5. Call the Printer Manufacturer and / or the OEM Computer Manufacturer for Support if the drivers fail to install properly.
The drivers are all proprietary. :(

"Dell Tower MT 560" is not very descriptive of all the electronic hardware that might be on the USB Bus so is hard to venture even a guess as to what is going on. Also is important to know what Edition of Win7 is on the machine along with the other Software you are running which might conflict.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

lowtechblue

thank you

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!