The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Can't get motherboard/bios to boot from hard drive

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Benaiah
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 2319 times

Benaiah

I just built my brother a computer. It's an Asus motherboard, with two Barracuda 250g SATA hard drives. I put everything together and powered it up. The Bios recognized both DVD drives, and both SATAs. I burned an Ubuntu CD and tried to install it. It starts to install for like 2 seconds and then it went to a blank screen.

After toying around with everything I decided to unplug his hard drive and plug it into my system (replacing the drive in my system). I put the Ubuntu CD in and powered it up. Everything worked just fine. I was able to install Ubuntu on his hard drive.

Ok, so I then unplugged both DVD drives and the second hard drive from his computer. I plugged in the hard drive with the freshly installed Ubuntu on it. I turn on the computer and it tells me there is a system disk error, and to replace the system disk and hit enter. The Bios recognizes that there is a 250g SATA, but I can't get it to boot. I have all the RAID settings turned off, and have it set to boot from the hard drive.

I don't know what else to try.

Ron Paul 2008!

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

What is the motherboard model number?
Also have you checked the boot order in the BIOS to make sure that hard drive is first or second to the optical drive?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!