How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

[Solved] Can't find Temporary Internet Files folder in Explorer

(5 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by CharlieSkywalker
  • Latest reply from CharlieSkywalker
  • Topic Viewed 16854 times

CharlieSkywalker

Hi,
My problem is that I can't find Temporary Internet Files folder in Explorer. I know that it should be in
C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows, but when I look there it simply doesn't show up.
I tried "Open All Users", tried with Folder Options... (ckecked Show hidden files and folders), even changed some permissions - no result.
But I know for sure that it is there because, when I browse in WinRAR I can see it in that location. And not only TIF folder, but another, called History, too, and a whole bunch of UsrClass.dat files which don't show up when I look in Explorer.
I run Windows Vista Home Premium.
Any help would be appreciated...

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Charlie, try this. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options. This is the same window that you get in IE Tools -> Options. On the General Tab, in the Browsing History section, click the "Settings" button. In the window that comes up, "Current location:" shows where IE is saving it's Temporary files. Also from this window you can click on the View Files button and it will open Windows Explorer at that location.

Posted 4 years ago

Odeho19
Odeho19

Charlie, Hi, You might be going just a little bit too far in your search. I'm using Vista Ultimate, but I can't see why there would be too much difference between the systems. Mine is in C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Local\Temp. Whereas you went to Local\Microsoft\Windows, I stopped after Local. Try this and see if it's there for you. You are right though, You do have to check "show hidden files or folders", as otherwise of course "AppData" doesn't appear at all.

Posted 4 years ago

CharlieSkywalker

Hey man,ScottW,
You are a genious. Thank you very much for uour advice. It works!
I did exactly what you told me to do and really got that folder, Temporary Internet Files, so I could view its contents.
But now, I have some additional questions.
First of all, is there any way to keep that folder permanently visible at that location (C:\Users\...\Windows)?
Unfortunately, when I close Explorer's window, and open it again, at the same place,that lousy folder is gone again. Is that normal? Will I always have to go through those tedious steps to open it? It's a little boring, don't you think. And why does it appear only in folder tree, but not in file pane as well, in Explorer's window?
Second, I was surprised when I saw how many files that folder contains - 13.496 to be precise, occupying more than 950 MB of my disk space. Aren't they cluttering my system? Should I delete them? Is it safe to delete them all at once?
And third, what about the other folder (History) and files I mentioned in my post? They are also invisible in Explorer, but visible in WinRAR, at the same location. What can I do to get them to?

Regards, Charlie...

Posted 4 years ago

CharlieSkywalker

Hey there, Odeho19,

I really do appreciate your efford to help me. But ScotW has given me the right solution. That lousy folder is exactly where I looked for it - in C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows. I knew that all the time, because I could always see it when browsing in WinRAR. The only problem was that I couldn't get it visible in Explorer.
Thanks again. Charlie...

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!