How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Can't delete files - need permission

(7 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by RN
  • Latest reply from michael
  • Topic Viewed 60703 times

RN

Hi:

I am trying to delete old tmp files in my user account (Richard.../appdata/local). I keep getting messages saying that I need permission to delete them so I am denied. When I go into properties of the temp folder, I seem to have permission. I have three user names listed : system, Richard and Administrators. All items seem to have a greyed out check under allowed.
I just want to clean out these files and I am stumped. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Richard

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

What you'll need to do is take ownership of those files. Most likely they arrived there because you ran an application in admin mode or an installer created them and forgot to clean them up.

You can use the take ownership registry tweak to add it to your right-click menu, which also takes ownership of all the files below the directory:
http://www.howtogeek.com/?s=take+ownership

You should also note that there might be a few files in use that can't be deleted.

Out of curiosity, did you try the Disk Cleanup wizard? It usually does a fair job of cleaning up those files on it's own. (although it doesn't clean everything)

Posted 7 years ago

RN

thanks. I will try this. Disk cleanup did not remove the files.

Posted 7 years ago

frankmaNL
frankmaNL

Hello Geek,
I can't even delete .exe files that are just downloads, not installed programs.
They are just setup files for Firefox that I downloaded and want to remove after installing. My harddisk is now slowly filling with those .exe files I can't remove.
My virusscanner tells me the pc is clean.

I read your solution, tried to take ownership (both by installing the option in my right-click menu and by using the commandprompt) but still can't delete .exe files.

I think I tried all the appropriate ways of deleting, I deactivated the user account management (is it called like that in english?) that prohibits almost anything, I right-clicked Computer and chose Manage, which should give me all rights.
When I look at the properties of those files, they are displayed in grey (I can't change them) and tell me I have all rights, but still I can't delete the files. Not even when I change their extension to .txt or something.
I really hope you can help me to get rid of them.

Frank

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Right. Try this:

Open Start menu and type in "clean" and open Disk Cleanup. On the select menu that comes up after it scans your disks, select everything and click OK. Do this three or four times. This may help, but I am not entirley sure.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

frankmaNL
frankmaNL

OK, I tried that but it does not work.
I read some other topics and found something about checking the integrity of the Windows installation. I ran that and found in the blog that Windows generates lots and lots of corrupt files or keys or whatever.
It seems I'll have to reinstall Windows Vista already, after using it for only 2 months...

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Be careful. You can only activate Windows Vista via the Internet six times in total.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.