The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Can't delete a program icon on my desktop in Vista 32bit, sp1

(10 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Philrr
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 1425 times

Philrr

I cannot delete an icon on my desktop. This is the error message which appears when I try to delete or move the icon to another location (recycle bin or a folder on my desktop:
"Could not find this item. This is no longer in C:\Users\Owner\Desktop. Verify the items location and try again."
I have tried to remove the icon by running System Restore to a date prior to the down load to the program, to no avail.
I also tried to delete the icon in Safe Mode, to no avail.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

Hi Philrr ,

Welcome to HTG ,

Try renaming the icon then deleting it.

Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

Lighthouse

Laptop, or desktop, computer.

Posted 2 years ago

Philrr

The icons which I cannot delete are on my desktop computer. I did rename it and tried to delete it but this does not work: the icon reverted back to the original name. I also have a setup.exec icon from a program I downloaded (a game) and then decided not to install on my desktop that refuses to delete.
Thank you so much for any help you can offer!

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Have you actually shut down your computer for any length of time ?

Posted 2 years ago

Philrr

I have restarted my computer several times since I have had this icon removal issue, and in fact just did because after trying to rename the unwanted icon, a warning box came up and indicated that the "destination location is the same". And my computer has been shut down for several hours after I had tried before to rename the file and other attempts to delete these icons.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Try,
http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

Also delete your icon cache. It's at C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\IconCache.db

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Philrr

Thank you for your sage advice. Using Unlocker allowed me to delete unwanted icon with ease. And I discovered that I could delete the setup.exe icon after doing a search for it and deleting it from the list of search results. Thank you, again.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

My pleasure :)

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.