The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Can't connect to internet to get drivers after installing windows xp pro

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by lilghost053
  • Latest reply from lilghost053
  • Topic Viewed 1022 times

lilghost053

I downloaded a new copy of xp on a computer that had a fatal crash. I don't have a drivers disc to download from and cannot connect to the internet now to download drivers, what can I do ? I need the drivers to connect to the internet !!!

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi lilghost053 ,

Welcome to HTG ,

You will have to access another computer to download those drivers, no other way.

Posted 1 year ago

lilghost053

I copied the drivers from another similar computer running xp and downloaded them on the problem computer to the hard drive but can't get them to run !

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

When you say similar do you mean the exact same model with same specs ?

Or

Different model but same version of XP ?

Posted 1 year ago

lilghost053

I copied the drivers off my working Dell Latitude and downloaded them to my Inspiron model that needs the drivers. I see them on the hard drive but don't know how to install them. The model numbers for the computers are Latitude PPO1L and the Inspiron is PPO1L. The Latitude is using SP3 but the Inspiron is using SP1. This whole mess started when I tried to download SP3 to the Inspiron which caused the system failure !

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

I don't think you will be able to use those drivers anyway as the Network cards may well be different, but am not sure as I can't find a product manual for those two machines to compare.

Why not just use the computer you took those drivers from to access the net and download the necessary drivers ?

Posted 1 year ago

lilghost053

Do I just go to Dell.com and download the drivers for the Inspiron with SP1 ?

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

You should only need the Network drivers then you will be able to receive the necessary windows updates bit by bit.

Make sure you have all information needed for the Dell support site : http://www.dell.com/support/tr.....key=solink

Probably best to save them to a USB stick or CD so that you can easily install them when asked.

Posted 1 year ago

lilghost053

Thanks a million. Will try that from here. I appreciate your time.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!