SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Can't boot win xp after using DBAN on hard drive.

(24 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Zagreus
  • Latest reply from Zagreus
  • Topic Viewed 13550 times

Zagreus
Zagreus

My grandson has just used DBAN to wipe his laptop's hard drive and can't boot his Windows xp operating system. He says that a blue screen appears with a humungus row of zeros ect. Can any HTG give any advice on the problem. I guess the MBR is missing, if so how does he fix it. Regards.

Zagreus.

Posted 4 years ago

Santo
Santo

The only option now will be to reinstall Windows XP using its disc. This is because DBAN will erase all the contents of the hard disk.

Posted 4 years ago

Zagreus
Zagreus

Hello Santo. Thats the problem, after using DBAN, the operating system seems to load as normal but then gets a blue screen, (look at the following further down the list) ''xp insallation problem on laptop'' i have a strong feeling that the bluescreen this feller is getting, is the same, only a different problem. I need to know how to format the drive ect.

Zagreus.

Posted 4 years ago

Santo
Santo

Try the steps given in the MS article to format the hard drive and then install XP.

Posted 4 years ago

Zagreus
Zagreus

Thanks for the link Santos. I'd forgotten about FDISK as it's some years since i last used it, stupid memory, lol. I wont be able to help him out until tomorow, so will let you know how things went. Regards.

Daveh.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Zagreus, HTG recommends Dban and several members have used it with good success. It is a good wiping program. I think something else caused the BSOD.
When Dban completed and your grandson started the XP installation what exactly did he do when Windows asked if he wanted to partition & format the hdd?
Before his problems started how many partitions were on his hdd?
What did he use Dban for?
Did he realize what Dban actuallly does? There is nothing on his hdd after using Dban. A clean install is necessary.
What version of XP is he trying to install (SP1, SP2, SP3)?

Posted 4 years ago

marks100
marks100

use 'partition wizard' to replace the 'MBR' download and burn to disk . http://download.cnet.com/Parti.....62200.html EDIT:why did he use dban he should have just put xp in the tray at boot and installed on C:\ nevermind to late now:)

Posted 4 years ago

Zagreus
Zagreus

Hello GX. As far as i know Windows didn't ask about partitions/formats. When i asked him to explain what happened when windows started to install, he said everything went normal (loading files,drivers ect) and then the blue screen appeared (got no options at all) with a lot of zeros ect.

I think it was a preinstalled system with Vista. He doesn't like Vista and tried to install xp over Vista and it didn't work, and being the impatient sod that he is, the clever cloggs downloaded DBAN and zapped his hdd completly. I assume he thought DBAN just formatted the hdd. it's windows xp pro (got to have the biggest) but i dont know what service pack. Just as an added querie, i only ever used fdisk up to Win Me, after i restore the MBR and create a partition and format the hdd, will xp load up? Regards.

Zagreus

Posted 4 years ago

Zagreus
Zagreus

Hello Marks. I will have a look at the link. Does that mean i dont have to use fdisk? Regards.

Daveh.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

First Dban does not change or alter the hdd format. It just writes "0's &1's over all your existing data. This said if he is going from Vista to XP he should format the hdd. The FDISK may not work depending on the size of his hdd. I know WinXP install disk prompts you just after booting if you want to format your hdd. It's best at this time to download partition wizard burn to a Cd. Go into the BIOS and make the optical device your first boot then when the program boots the computer look at the hdd layout. You will want one partition and then tell it to format your hdd. This will make the drive ready to install XP.
By chance does he have the Vista restore disks in case he wants to go back to vista?

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

Zagreus
Zagreus

Hello G-X. I'm not sure if he has the restore disks, wont find out now until tomorrow/today. i will have a go at getting his machine up and running following the HTGs advice.

Daveh.

Posted 4 years ago

Zagreus
Zagreus

I Down loaded Partion Wizard and tried it on my machine first...It wont boot from the optical drive. Any suggestions fellers? I am going to try it on my grandsons machine later, about 11am. Regards.

Zagreus.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

you have to go into your BIOS and change the boot order. Make your optical device ( CD-ROM / DVD ) the first boot order. Your hdd is currently your first boot device.

Posted 4 years ago

Zagreus
Zagreus

G-X. Been into the bios and changed the boot order...No joy, it keeps coming up with ''none boot disk, insert a bootable disk and press any key''. Even tried copying fdisk floppy to a usb key and tried to boot from that, same story. Is there any other way of formatting the hdd? Regards.

Zagreus.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Zagreus,
Unless you made your USB bootable it won't work.
You have to run the .exe file (installer) then start the program. There is an option to make a boot disk, choose that one. That should do it.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Zagreus, My mistake, you have to scroll down the home page about mid way. There is the free home BOOTABLE version. Download that, it is in an .iso format. You will have to then burn it to a cd and it will boot your system.
EDIT: just click on the download button then it will take you to another page, that is the page you need to scroll down to the bootable version 39mb.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

Zagreus
Zagreus

G-X. I assume you are talking about the partrition wizard? if so i wiil have another look at the link Marks gave me. Unfortunately, i wont be able to do anything until Saturday lunch. I will keep you posted.

Zagreus.

Posted 4 years ago

Zagreus
Zagreus

G-X. Can you send me the link for the 39mb download? The page i get only says 7.52mb.

Edit. Is it the Cnet site? Thanks.

Zagreus.

Posted 4 years ago

Zagreus
Zagreus

G-X. Iv'e got it, the 39mb one. I wiil test it later. Thanks.

Zagreus.

Posted 4 years ago

Zagreus
Zagreus

Update fellers to the above thread. I'm afraid the issue has now got me confused, as my daughter-in-law went and purchased Windows 7 for my grandson... On install, options came up, one being to repair the computer, which he selected. A progres bar appeared which lasted for about 40mins...Anway, to cut to the quick, Windows 7 loaded up and his system is up and running, but that doesn't answer my original query as to why Windows xp woudn't load after using DBAN. Do i put this down to a resolved? Regards.

Zagreus

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.